In 1889, Eastman Kodak introduced a flexible, transparent roll film made from a plastic substance called celluloid. Kodak chemists had perfected the celluloid film that had been invented and patented in 1887 by the Reverend Hannibal Goodwin. In 1891, working under Thomas Edison (1847–1931), W. K. L. Dickson (1860–1935) designed the first motion picture camera, the Kinetograph, which used Kodak celluloid film stock. By 1911, Kodak was manufacturing over 80 million feet of film stock annually for the film industry, and the company continued to be the major supplier of film stock internationally throughout the twentieth century. With the rise of the digital age in the twenty-first century, Kodak has evolved to produce and support digital filmmaking and projection equipment.