Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Brian Patrick Clarke to Charlotte Cornwell
Pat Conroy Biography (1945-)
Full name, Donald Patrick Conroy; born October 26, 1945, in Atlanta, GA; sonof Donald (a military officer) and Frances "Peggy" Conroy; married Barbara Bolling, 1969 (divorced, 1977); married Lenore Gurewitz, March 21, 1981; children: (first marriage) Megan; Jessica, Melissa (stepdaughters); (second marriage) Susannah; Gregory, Emily (stepchildren). Addresses: Contact--c/o Jane Mulholland, 345 North Maple Dr., Suite 300, Beverly Hills, CA 90210.
- Birth Details
- October 26, 1945
- Atlanta, Georgia, United States
- The Boo (nonfiction), McClure, 1970.
- The Water Is Wide (nonfiction), Houghton, 1972.
- The Great Santini (novel), Houghton, 1976.
- The Lords of Discipline (novel), Houghton, 1980.
- The Prince of Tides (novel; also see below), Houghton, 1986.
- (With Becky Johnston) The Prince of Tides, Columbia, 1991.
- Also author of other screenplays, including Atlanta Burning, and (with Doug Marlette) Ex.
- Unconquered (also known as Invictus), CBS, 1989.
- Adaptations: The film Conrack, released by Twentieth Century-Fox in 1973,was adapted by Irving Ravetch and Harriet Frank, Jr., from the book The Water Is Wide; Conrack was adapted for the stage as a musical by Granville Burgess, Anne Croswell, and Lee Pockriss, produced at AMAS Repertory Theatre, New York City, 1987. The Great Santini was adapted for the screen by Lewis John Carlino and released by Warner Brothers in 1979. The Lords of Discipline was adapted for the screen by Thomas Pope and Lloyd Fonvielle and released by Paramount in 1983.
- Authors in the News, Volume 1, Gale, 1976.
- Contemporary Literary Criticism, Volume 30, Gale, 1984.
- Dictionary of Literary Biography, Volume 6: American Novelists since World War II, Second Series, Gale, 1980.
- American Film, January-February, 1992, p. 50.
- Chicago Tribune, November 25, 1986.
- Detroit Free Press, December 29, 1991, p. 2F.
- Detroit News, October 12, 1986; December 20, 1987.
- Los Angeles Times, February 19, 1983; October 12, 1986; October 19, 1986; December 12, 1986.
- New York Times, January 10, 1987; December 22, 1991, p. H9.
- State (Columbia, SC), March 31, 1974.
- Time, October 13, 1986.
- Washington Post, October 23, 1980.
Other articles you might like: