Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Brian Patrick Clarke to Charlotte Cornwell
Edward M. Cohen Biography (1936-)
Full name, Edward Martin Cohen; born April 15, 1936, in New York, NY; son ofHarry M. (an attorney) and Betty (Mendell) Cohen; married Sheila H. Miller, 1955 (divorced, 1959); married Susan Simon (a psychoanalyst), June 22, 1969; children: (first marriage) Noel Aram, Joy Alison. Addresses: Office--c/o KLR Agency, 853 Seventh Ave., New York, NY 10022. Agent-- Candida Donadio & Associates, Inc., 111 West Fifty-seventh St., New York, NY 10019.
- Birth Details
- April 15, 1936
- New York, New York, United States
- STAGE DIRECTOR,EXCEPT AS NOTED Night Thoughts, Theatre at St. Clements, New York City, 1973.
- Urlicht, Playwrights Horizons, New York City, 1974.
- Typhoid Mary, Theatre Genesis, New York City, 1974.
- Zero Sum, Cubiculo Theatre, New York City, 1975.
- Apple Pie (workshop), New York Shakespeare Festival, Public Theatre, NewYork City, 1975.
- Beethoven/Karl, Playwrights Horizons, 1975.
- Once and for All, Cubiculo Theatre, 1976.
- (And playwright) Cakes with the Wine, Playwrights Horizons, 1976.
- Dances with Words, Cubiculo Theatre, 1976.
- When Petulia Comes, Playwrights Horizons, 1976, then Theatre Genesis, NewYork City, 1978.
- The Cold Wind and the Warm, Jewish Repertory Theatre, New York City, 1977.
- Pop-a-Few, Playwrights Horizons, 1977.
- Benny Leonard and the Brooklyn Bridge, Open Space Theatre, New York City,1977.
- The Hot L Baltimore, Sarah Lawrence College, Bronxville, NY, 1978.
- Canzada and the Boys, Hudson Guild Theatre, New York City, 1978.
- Unlikely Heroes, Jewish Repertory Theatre, 1979.
- Liliom, Jewish Repertory Theatre, 1979.
- Any Wednesday, Little Theatre of Winston-Salem, Winston-Salem, NC, 1979.
- The Children's Hour, Sarah Lawrence College, 1980.
- Home Bodies, Playwrights Horizons, 1980.
- Me and Molly, Jewish Repertory Theatre, 1980.
- The Loves of Shirley Abramowitz, Ensemble Studio Theatre, New York City,1981, then International Festival of Jewish Theatre, Tel Aviv University, TelAviv, Israel, 1982, later Jewish Repertory Theatre, 1982.
- Elephants, Jewish Repertory Theatre, 1981.
- Taking Steam, Jewish Repertory Theatre, 1983, then Leah Posluns, Toronto,Ontario, Canada, 1983.
- Shlemiel The First, Jewish Repertory Theatre, 1984.
- "The Shy and Lonely" and "Sailor Off the Bremen," I, Shaw (double-bill),Jewish Repertory Theatre, 1986.
- Roots, Jewish Repertory Theatre, 1986.
- (Producer) Our Own Family (four plays), Jewish Repertory Theatre, 1987.
- Yard Sale, Jewish Repertory Theatre, 1988.
- Also directed Beethoven/Karl, Queens Festival Playhouse, 1975, and GreenGate Summer Theatre, 1977; Cakes with the Wine, Queens Festival Playhouse, 1976; Candida, 1977, and Old Times, 1978, both Green Gate Summer Theatre; La Musica and The Square, both White Barn Theatre, 1979.
- Breeding Ground, produced in New York City, 1971.
- Cakes with the Wine, produced in New York City, 1971, produced Off-Broadway, 1975.
- The Complaint Department Closes at Five, produced at Eugene O'Neill Theatre Center's National Playwrights Conference, 1971, produced in New York City,1972, produced Off-Broadway, 1973.
- A Gorgeous Piece, produced in New York City, 1972.
- Two Girls and a Sailor, produced Off-Broadway, 1973.
- The Last Stage of Labor, produced Off-Broadway, 1978.
- Two Hundred and Fifty Thousand Dollars (novel), Putnam, 1967.
- (Editor) Plays of Jewish Interest, Jewish Theatre Association, 1982.