Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Peter McEnery to Gene Milford
Theresa Merritt Biography (1922-)
Born September 24, 1922, in Newport News, VA. Addresses: AGENT--Bauman, Hiller, and Associates, 250 W. 57th Street, New York, NY 10107 and 5750 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 512, Los Angeles, CA 90038.
- Birth Details
- September 24, 1922
- Newport News, Virginia, United States
Credits; STAGE APPEARANCES
- Sister Henrietta Pinkston, Trumpets of the Lord, Brooks Atkinson Theatre,New York City, 1969.
- Ruby, Five on the Black Hand Side, American Place Theatre, St.
- Clement's Church Theatre, New York City, 1970.
- Berenice Sadie Brown, F. Jasmine Addams, Circle in the Square, New York City, 1971.
- Miss Maybell, Don't Play Us Cheap, Ethel Barrymore Theatre, New York City, 1972.
- Tituba, The Crucible, Vivian Beaumont Theatre, New York City, 1972.
- Mammy, Gone with the Wind, Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, Los Angeles, then Curran Theatre, San Francisco, CA, both 1973.
- Evillene, The Wiz, Broadway Theatre, New York City, 1976.
- Berenice Sadie Brown, The Member of the Wedding, Hartford Stage Company,Hartford, CT, 1980.
- Mrs. Bruchinski, Division Street, Ambassador Theatre, Los Angeles, 1980.
- ensemble, Talking With (revue), Manhattan Theatre Club Downstage, New York City, 1982.
- Sarah Goldfine, Something Different, South Street Theatre, New York City,1983.
- Ma Rainey, Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, Yale Repertory Theatre, New Haven, CT, 1983, then Cort Theatre, New York City, 1984.
- Mistress Quickly, Henry IV, Part One, New York Shakespeare Festival, Delacorte Theatre, New York City, 1987.
- Reverend Sister Rena Pinkston, God's Trombones, New Federal Theatre, Theatre of the Riverside Church, New York City, 1989.
- Also appeared in La Dispute, Theatre National Populaire, Lyttelton Theatre, London, 1976; Trouble in Mind, Pilgrim Theatre, New York City, 1979; A Raisin in the Sun, Studio Arena Theatre, Buffalo, NY, 1982; Marriage, Yale Repertory Theatre, 1985.
Credits; FILM APPEARANCES
- Peggy, They Might Be Giants, Universal, 1977.
- Mrs. Crosby, The Goodbye Girl, Warner Brothers, 1977.
- Aunt Em, The Wiz, Universal, 1978.
- Arrabelle Smalls, The Great Santini, Orion/Warner Brothers, 1979.
- Jewel, The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, Universal, 1982.
- Simone, The Serpent and the Rainbow, Universal, 1988.
Credits; TELEVISION APPEARANCES; SERIES
- "Mama" Eloise Curtis, That's My Mama, ABC, 1974-75.
- Miracle at Beekman's Place, NBC, 1989.
Other articles you might like: