Tom McDermott Biography (1912-)
Born July 20, 1912, in McHenry, IL; son of John M. and Mary (Wegner) McDermott; married Mary F. Hayden (an actress), December 20, 1934; children: Miranda,Deborah, Thomas Jr. Addresses: AGENT--Bret Adams, 448 W. 44th Street,New York, NY 10036.
Born July 20, 1912, in McHenry, IL; died of prostate cancer, March 6, 1996, in Manhattan, NY. Actor. McDermott was known to the entertainment industry forhis performances on stage, in films, and on television. His career in the arts, which lasted more than sixty years, began when he was a teenager and performed on the Chicago stage. He appeared in numerous regional theater productions as well as on Broadway in Three Sisters, Mastergate, Macbeth and The BestMan. Other theater work included Merry Go Round, Billy Budd, and Tiger at the Gates. A member of Actors' Equity, he also worked in films such as Ghostbusters, Supercops, and The Crucible. On television he played the alien Permes Lykos in the series Captain Video. The Lykos character was a forerunner to Star Trek's Mr. Spock. McDermott also appeared on soap operas, including One Life to Live, Edge of Night, Search for Tomorrow, and Love of Life.
- Birth Details
- July 20, 1912
- McHenry, Illinois, United States
- STAGE DEBUT--Four roles, Merry Go Round, Adelphi, Chicago, IL, 1932.
- NEW YORK DEBUT--Lt. Roddey, The Three Sisters, 1942, 260 performances.
- Credits; PRINCIPAL STAGE APPEARANCES
- The Best Man.
- Tiger at the Gates.
- Much Ado About Nothing.
- Macbeth, all NY.
- Credits; MAJOR TOURS
- With the Barter Theater, East coast cities, 1946-47.
- Credits; PRINCIPAL FILM APPEARANCES
- Archbishop, Ghostbusters.
- The Doctor's Story.
- Playing for Keeps.
- Credits; PRINCIPAL TELEVISION APPEARANCES
- TELEVISION DEBUT--Captain Video, 1950.
- Edge of Night.
- Love of Life.
- Hallmark Hall of Fame.
- Studio One.
- One Life to Live.
- Search for Tomorrow.
- New York Times, March 11, 1996, p. B10.