Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Gary Kasper to Florence Klotz
Judy Kinberg Biography (1948-)
Born September 15, 1948, in Freeport, NY; daughter of Jack and Rose (Schwartz) Kinberg. Addresses: OFFICE--c/o Dance in America, WNET, 356 W. 58thStreet, New York, NY 10019.
Judy Kinberg explained to John Gruen in the New York Times (April 23, 1989),"One of the founding precepts of Dance in America was that it would be a collaborative effort between the choreographer and the television team. This means that we would not violate the choreographer's intention and that his or herinvolvement would be an essential aspect of filming. Not only would the choreographer's presence and input be vital during taping but he'd be called backduring editing, perhaps the most crucial factor of any dance show." She continued, "... dance on television can do things that can't be done in a theatre--close-ups for example, which provide a new focus and place the viewer in the midst of a dance. And we can give audiences supportive information, througharchival material and interviews with the choreographers."
- Birth Details
- September 15, 1948
- Freeport, New York, United States
Credits; PRINCIPAL TELEVISION WORK; SERIES
- Producer (with Merrill Brockway), Camera Three, CBS, 1970-75.
- Co-producer, "Pilobolus Dance Theatre" and "Trailblazers of Modern Dance," both Dance in America, PBS, 1977.
- co-producer, "San Francisco Ballet: Romeo and Juliet" and "Choreography by Balanchine, Part III," both Dance in America, PBS, 1978.
- producer, "Out of Our Fathers' House," Great Performances, PBS, 1978.
- co-producer, "Choreography by Balanchine, Part IV," co-producer, "The Martha Graham Dance Company: Clytemnestra," and producer, "The Feld Ballet," allDance in America, PBS, 1979.
- co-producer, "When Hell Freezes Over I'll Skate," Theatre in America, PBS, 1979.
- Co-producer, "Two Duets with Choreography by Jerome Robbins and Peter Martins," Dance in America, PBS, 1980.
Credits; co-producer, "The Spellbound Child," "Nureyev and the JoffreyBallet
- In Tribute to Nijinsky," and "The Tempest: Live with the San Francisco Ballet," all Dance in America, PBS, 1981.
- producer, "The Green Table, with the Joffrey Ballet," producer, "Paul Taylor: Two Landmark Dances," co-producer, "Paul Taylor: Three Modern Classics,"and co-producer, "Bournonville Dances, with Members of the New York City Ballet," all Dance in America, PBS, 1982.
- "The Magic Flute, with the New York City Ballet," Dance in America, PBS,1983.
- producer, "San Francisco Ballet: A Song for Dead Warriors," "A Choreographer's Notebook: Stravinsky Piano Ballets by Peter Martins," and "Balanchine,Parts I and II," all Dance in America, PBS, 1984.
- producer (with Emile Ardolino), He Makes Me Feel Like Dancin', NBC, 1984.
- producer, "San Francisco Ballet in Cinderella," Dance in America, PBS, 1985.
- producer, "Mark Morris," "Choreography by Jerome Robbins," and "Dance Theatre of Harlem in A Streetcar Named Desire," all Dance in America, PBS, 1986.
- producer, "In Memory of ... A Ballet by Jerome Robbins," and "Agnes, theIndomitable de Mille," both Dance in America, PBS, 1987.
- producer, "Paul Taylor: Roses [and] Last Look," "Balanchine and Cunningham: An Evening at American Ballet Theatre," and "Baryshnikov Dances Balanchine," all Dance in America, PBS, 1988.
Credits; producer and director (with Thomas Grimm), "A Night at the Joffrey
- Monotones II, Love Songs, [and] Round of Angels," all Dance in America, PBS, 1989.
Other articles you might like: