Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Joe Viterelli to Orson Welles
Rebecca Walker Biography (1969-)
Born November 17, 1969, in Jackson, MS; daughter of Alice Walker (a writer).Career: Actress, activist, writer, and editor. Ms. magazine, contributing editor, 1989-; Third Wave Direct Action Corporation, New York City, founder (with Shannon Liss), 1992; Kokobar, Brooklyn, NY, owner, 1996; WGBH, Boston, MA, and KRON, San Francisco, CA, television host and reporter. Awards, Honors: Pickens Prize, Yale University, 1992, for excellence in African-American scholarship; Feminist of the Year Award, Fund for Feminist Majority, 1992; Paz y Justicia Award, Vanguard Foundation; California Abortion Rights Action League Champion of Choice Award; Kingsborough Community CollegeWomen of Distinction Award; named one of the "fifty future leaders of America," Time magazine. Addresses: Agent: Wendy Weil, 232 Madison Ave., Suite 1100, New York, NY 10021.
- Actress, activist, writer, editor
- Birth Details
- November 17, 1969
- Jackson, Mississippi, United States
- Herself, Anthem, Universal, 1997
- March Cunningham, Primary Colors, Universal, 1998
- Editor, To Be Real: Telling the Truth and Changing Face of Feminism, Anchor Books (New York City), 1995
- Author of foreword, Adios, Barbie: Young Women Write about Body Imageand Identity, edited by Ophira Edut, Seal Press (Seattle, WA), 1998
Morphology: Memoir of a Shifting Self (memoir), Riverhead Books, forthcoming.
- Contributor of essays to books, including Listen Up: Voices from the Next Feminist Generation, edited by Barbara Findlen, Seal Press, 1995; Testimony, edited by Natasha Tarpley, Beacon Press, 1996; and Who We Want to Be Now, edited by Susan Shreve and Porter Shreve, Beacon Pess, 1998. Contributor to periodicals, including Black Scholar,
Sassy, and The New York Daily News.
Other articles you might like: