Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
James D. Bissell to Marlon Brando
Jonathan Bolt Biography (1935-)
Born September 22, 1935, in Statesville, NC; son of John Abner (a textile worker) and Lila Mae (a dietician; maiden name, Smith) Bolt; married Gigi Gibson(divorced, 1983); children: Julie Elizabeth. Addresses: HOME--345 W.86th Street, New York, NY 10024.
- Birth Details
- September 22, 1935
- Statesville, North Carolina, United States
- STAGE DEBUT--As a scenic designer, Myrtle Beach Playhouse, SC, 1956.
- NEW YORK DEBUT--Eugene Gant, Look Homeward, Angel, Ethel Barrymore Theatre, 1958.
Credits; PRINCIPAL STAGE APPEARANCES
- Resident with Myrtle Beach Playhouse, SC, 1956.
- resident actor, Hyde Park Playhouse, Hyde Park, NY, 1957.
- Biff, Death of a Salesman, Moorestown Summer Theatre, 1965.
- Don't Drink the Water, Morosco Theatre, NY, 1966.
- Love in E Flat, Brooks Atkinson Theatre, NY, 1967.
- As resident with Cleveland Playhouse, Cleveland, OH: Atahualpa, Royal Hunt of the Sun, Vladimir, Waiting for Godot, Gentleman Caller, The Glass Menagerie, Mortimer Brewster, Arsenic and Old Lace, Mitch, Luv, Andrew, In Celebration, the man, Woman in the Dunes, Anderson, The Devil's Disciple, Mangiacavallo, The Rose Tattoo, McCann, The Birthday Party, John Buchannan, Summer and Smoke, Horner, The Country Wife, Aston, The Caretakers, Hamm, Endgame, Jay, All the Way Home, Pantalone, The Liar, Starbuck, Moby Dick Rehearsed, Etienne,A Flea in Her Ear, David Greenglass, The United States versus Julius and Ethel Rosenberg, all between 1967- 73.
- Oedipus Rex, Oedipus at Colonus, Antigone, Woyzeck, Gille de Rais, Leonceand Lena, all for the Classic Stage Company, NY, 1980-81.
- The Great Great Grandson of Jedediah Kohler, Richard II, Black Angel, andwith the Dramatists Guild Young Playwrights Festival, all at Circle Repertory Company, NY.
- The Rimers of Eldritch, La Mama Experimental Theatre Club, NY.
- Sir Toby Belch, Twelfth Night, Maryland Shakespeare Festival.
- Out of Order, Family Album, The Only Woman Awake, Simon of Cyrene, all asguest artist with Theatre in the Works, University of MA.
- Passion, Longacre Theatre, NY, 1983.
- Edward Muybridge, The Photographer, Brooklyn Academy of Music, NY, 1983.
- What the Butler Saw, Theatre by the Sea, Portsmouth, NH, 1985.
- Foxfire, Guthrie, Minneapolis, MN, 1985.
- Robert Oppenheimer, No Mercy, Actors Theatre of Louisville, 1986.
Credits; MAJOR TOURS
- Eugene Gant, Look Homeward, Angel, national, 1959-60.
- Phil Romano, That Championship Season, national, 1973-74.
- Edward Muybridge, The Photographer, spring tour, 1984.
- Foxfire, 1985.
Credits; PRINCIPAL STAGE WORK; DIRECTOR
- The Midnight Caller, The Dancers, both at Pico Playhouse, Los Angeles, CA, 1965.
- The Kilgo Run, Los Angeles, 1965.
- Bus Stop and Sunday in New York, both dinner theatre tour, 1966. At the Cleveland Playhouse, OH: Mornings at Seven, 1968, The Effect of Gamma Rays onMan-in-the-Moon Marigolds, 1969, Gallows Humor, 1970, Except for Susie Finkle, 1970, The Promise, 1971, The Price, 1972, Forty Carats, 1972, The Showoff,1972, Johnny No-Trump, 1972, Light Up the Sky, 1974, The Owl and the Pussycat, 1974, No Hard Feelings, 1974, A Shot in the Dark, 1974, Generation, 1974, Poor Richard, 1974, Champagne Complex, 1974, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, 1974, TheHot L Baltimore, 1975, Bingo, 1975, Great Expectations, 1977, Threads, Cleveland Playhouse, 1979, The Archbishop's Ceiling, 1984.
- The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds,PAF Playhouse, Huntington, NY, 1975.
- The Great Magoo, Kingston, RI, 1976.
- Luv, Advent Theatre, Nashville, TN, 1977.
- The Bright and Golden Land, PAF Playhouse, Huntington, NY, 1977.
- The Male Animal, Asolo State Theatre, Sarasota, FL, 1982.
- FILM DEBUT--Rocking chair soldier, Captain Newman, MD, Universal, 1963.
Credits; PRINCIPAL FILM APPEARANCES
- Seward, The Eyes of Amaryllis, 1982.
- TELEVISION DEBUT--The Verdict Is Yours, CBS, 1960.
Credits; PRINCIPAL TELEVISION APPEARANCES
- Death Valley Days.
- The Twilight Zone.
- Wanted Dead or Alive.
- The Detectives.
- Stagecoach West.
- Wyatt Earp.
- The Tom Ewell Show.
- The Gertrude Berg Show.
- The Guiding Light.
- Another World.
- Search for Tomorrow.
- One Life to Live.
- The Adams Chronicles.
- Threads, O'Neill Center, Cleveland Playhouse, Playmakers Repertory, Circle Repertory, 1978, published 1981.
- Eye and the Hands of God, Fordham University, Cleveland State University,1980.
- (with composer Tom Tierney and lyricist John Forester) Teddy Roosevelt, Theatreworks, USA, national tours, 1980-84.
- (with composer Tom Tierney and lyricist John Forester) First Lady, Theatreworks, USA, national tour, Promenade Theatre, NY, 1984.
- Plotline, Pioneer Square Theatre, Seattle, WA, 1985.
- To Culebra, Actors Theatre of Louisville Humana Festival, 1986.
- Also author of unproduced play "Running Time."
- SCREENPLAY,UNPRODUCED "Alamance Summer."