Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Holly Fulger to Joanna McClelland Glass
Greta Garbo Biography (1905-1990)
Full name Greta Lovisa Gustafasson; born September 18, 1905, in Stockholm, Sweden; immigrated to the United States, 1925; naturalized U.S. citizen, 1951;died of an undisclosed illness, April 15, 1990, in a New York Hospital, New York, NY; daughter of Swen and Louvisa Gustafasson.
During her lifetime, the reclusive star was reported by biographer John Bainbridge to have, "granted no interviews, signed no autographs, attended no premieres, answered no fan mail."*
- Swedish, American
- Birth Details
- September 18, 1905
- Stockholm, Sweden
- Death Details
- April 15, 1990
- New York City, New York, United States
Credits; FILM APPEARANCES
- Felicitas von Eltz, Flesh and the Devil, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM), 1926.
- Elena, The Temptress, MGM, 1926.
- Leonora, The Torrent (also known as Ibanez' Torrent), MGM, 1926.
- Anna Karenina, Love, MGM, 1927.
- Marianne, The Divine Woman, MGM, 1928.
- Tania, The Mysterious Lady, MGM, 1928.
- Tania, A Woman of Affairs, MGM, 1929.
- Irene, The Kiss, MGM, 1929.
- A Man's Man, MGM, 1929.
- Arden Stuart, The Single Standard, MGM, 1929.
- Lili Sterling, Wild Orchids, MGM, 1929.
- Title role, Anna Christie, MGM, 1930.
- Rita Cavallini, Romance, MGM, 1930.
- Yvonne, Inspiration, MGM, 1931.
- Title role, Mata Hari, MGM, 1931.
- Title role, Susan Lenox--Her Fall And Rise (also known as The Rise of Helga; Rising To Fame), MGM, 1931.
- Zara, As You Desire Me, MGM, 1932.
- Grusinkaya, Grand Hotel, MGM, 1932.
- Title role, Queen Christina, MGM, 1933.
- Katherine Koerber Fane, The Painted Veil, MGM, 1934.
- Title role, Anna Karenina, MGM, 1935.
- Marguerite, Camille, MGM, 1937.
- Marie Walewska, Conquest (also known as Marie Walewska), MGM, 1937.
- Lena Yakushova Ninotchka, Ninotchka, MGM, 1939.
- Karin Borg Blake/Katherine Borg, Two-Faced Woman, MGM, 1941.
- Made film debut as an extra in A Fortune Hunter (also known as En lychoriddare), 1921; also appeared in Mr. and Mrs. Stockholm, How Not To Dress (alsoknown as Herr och fru Stockholm), 1922; Our Daily Bread, 1922; Greta Nordberg, Peter The Tramp (also known as Luffar-Petter), 1922; Countess Elisabeth Dohna, The Atonement of Gosta Berling (also known as Gosta Berlings Saga), 1924; Greta Rumfort, Joyless Street (also known as Die Freundlose Gasse), 1925.
Other articles you might like: