Nicholas Pileggi Biography (1933-)
Born February 22, 1933, in New York, NY; son of Nick (a shoe store owner) andSusan (Defaslo) Pileggi; married Nora Ephron (a writer and director). Career: Writer and producer. Associated Press, New York City, reporter, 1956-68; New York(magazine), New York City, contributing editor, beginningin 1968. Member: PEN, Players Club. Awards, Honors: British Academy of Film and Television Arts Award, best adapted screenplay, Academy Award nomination, best writing, screenplay based on material from another medium, Golden Globe Award nomination, best screenplay--motion picture, Writers Guild of America Screen Award nomination, best screenplay based on material fromanother medium, and Edgar Allan Poe Award nomination, Mystery Writers of America, best motion picture, all with Martin Scorsese, all 1991, for GoodFellas; awards from the New York State Bar Association and the Detective Association. Addresses: Agent: Sterling Lord, 660 Madison Ave., New York,NY 10021.
- Writer, producer
- Birth Details
- February 22, 1933
- New York, New York, United States
- Film Work
- Producer, Father Hood(also known as Desperado, Honor among Thieves, and Mike Hardy), Buena Vista, 1993
- Television Work
- Creator (with others) and executive producer, Michael Hayes, CBS,1997
- Executive producer, Loyalty and Betrayal: The Story of the American Mob, Fox, 1994
- Television Appearances
- Martin Scorsese Directs, PBS, 1990
- Himself, Las Vegas, A&E, 1996
- (With Martin Scorsese) GoodFellas(based on Pileggi's book Wiseguy: Life in a Mafia Family), Warner Bros., 1990 published by Faber (London, England), 1990
- (With Martin Scorsese) Casino(based on Pileggi's novel Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas), Universal, 1995
- City Hall, Columbia, 1996
- (With Paul Schrader) Dino, Warner Bros., 2001
- Author of Stories; Series
- Michael Hayes, CBS, 1997
- Loyalty and Betrayal: The Story of the American Mob, Fox, 1994
- Blye, Private Eye, Playboy Press, 1976
- Wiseguy: Life in a Mafia Family, Simon & Schuster (New York City), 1985 audio version released by Simon & Schuster Audioworks (New YorkCity), 1990
- Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas, Simon & Schuster, 1995 audio version released by Simon & Schuster Audioworks, 1995
- Contributor to periodicals, including Esquire, Life, NewYork, New York Times, and Saturday Evening Post.
- Contemporary Authors, New Revision Series, September 4, 1995, Volume 52, Gale (Detroit, MI), 1996.
- Publishers Weekly, p. 26.