Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Brian Klugman to Michael Lantieri
Basil Langton Biography (1912-)
Full name Basil C. Langton; born January 9, 1912, in Clifton, Bristol, England; son of Samuel Calvert (a piano tuner) and Esther (Shandel) Langton; married Louise Soelberg, 1938 (a dancer; divorced, 1959); married Nancy Wickwire, 1959 (an actress; divorced, 1969); children: Jessica Louise. Addresses:HOME--New York, NY; Los Angeles, CA. AGENT--Milton Goldman, International Creative Management, 40 W. 57th Street, New York, NY 10019; The Lantz Office, 9255 Sunset Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90069.
- Birth Details
- January 9, 1912
- Clifton, Bristol, England
- STAGE DEBUT--Dancer, Let's Go, Vancouver Theater, Vancouver, Canada, 1930.
- NEW YORK DEBUT--Director, Sing Till Tomorrow, 1953.
- LONDON DEBUT--The Hangman, Duke of York's, 1935.
Credits; PRINCIPAL STAGE WORK
- Actor and director, Vancouver Little Theater, Canada, 1931.
- actor, Royal Shakespeare Theatre, Stratford-on-Avon, England, 1935.
- actor, The Boy David, His Majesty's, London, 1936.
- actor, Hamlet, Royal Shakespeare Theater, Stratford, England, 1936.
- Macbeth, Old Vic, London, 1937.
- actor, Judgement Day, Strand, London, 1937.
- actor, Phoenix Theater, London, 1938.
- The Moon, Marriage of Blood, both Phoenix, London, 1939.
- Yasha, The Cherry Orchard, Queen's, London, 1939.
- Hamlet, Hamlet, Angelo, Measure for Measure, Dr. Caius, Merry Wives of Windsor, Tranio, The Taming of the Shrew, Prince of Arragon, Merchant of Venice, Dauphin, King John, all at Royal Shakespeare Festival, Stratford, England,1940.
- actor, Birmingham Repertory, England, 1940.
- played Hamlet and directed, Hamlet, Birmingham Repertory, England, 1942.
- producer and director, The Moon Is Down, Whitehall, London, 1943.
- producer and director, Romeo and Juliet, Man and Superman, The Wise HaveNot Spoken, Saint Joan, Theatre Royal, Bristol, England, 1943.
- producer and director, Romeo and Juliet, Man and Superman, The Wise HaveNot Spoken, Saint Joan, In Time to Come, Electra, all at Kings, London, 1945.
- Artist in residence, Case Western Reserve University, Clevland, OH, 1947.
- actor and director, Cleveland Playhouse, OH.
- actor and director, Catholic University, Washington, DC, Carnegie Tech, Pittsburgh, PA, Antioch College, 1948.
- actor and director, Saint Joan, Group 20, Boston, MA, and Caine Park, Cleveland, OH, 1949.
- director, Edwina Black, NY, 1950.
- creator, Shaw Festival, Martha's Vineyard, MA, 1951.
- director, Heartbreak House, Brattle Theater, 1952.
- director, Peter Pan, Toronto, Canada, 1952.
- director, Sing Till Tomorrow, NY, 1953.
- director, Jalna, Toronto, Canada, 1953.
- director, Creten Woman, Arms and the Man, All My Sons, Arena Stage, Washington, DC, 1953.
- actor and director, The Lady's Not for Burning, School for Scandal, Man and Superman, Olney Summer Theatre, MD, 1953.
- Director, The Tempest, Cincinnati Symphony, OH, 1954.
- director, Saint Joan, Puerto Rico, 1954.
- co-founder (with John Brownlee) of Empire State Music Festival, 1955.
- director, Carmen, LaBoheme, Madama Butterfly, La Traviata,A Midsummer Night's Dream, and producer, Symphony of the Air, all at Empire State Music Festival, NY, 1955-56.
- Macbeth, Macbeth, Roof Top, New York, NY, 1957.
- actor and director, This Island's Mine, Bermuda Festival, 1958.
- director, The Tempest, Virginia Festival, 1959.
- director, The Machinal, The Tempest, both at Boston University, MA, 1959.
- Dawson-Hill, The Affair, Merlin, Camelot, both NY, 1964.
- director and writer, El Capitan, Columbia University, NY, 1965.
- actor, Manfred, 1965.
- narrator, The Wasteland, Cincinnati Symphony, OH, 1965.
- actor, Unknown Soldier and His Wife, 1965.
- actor, Peg, 1967.
- Lord Alanbrooke, Soldiers, NY and London, 1968.
- director, Ariadne Auf Naxos, Carnegie Hall, Lincoln Center, NY, 1970.
- Director, Yerma, Santa Fe Opera, NM, 1971.
- director, Boulevard Solitude, NY, 1972.
- director, Don Pasquale, NY, 1973.
- director, Private Lives, Chicago, IL, 1973.
- director, 13 Rue de l'Amour, Chicago, IL, 1974.
- director, Hay Fever, Chicago, IL, 1975.
- director, Major Barbara, Juilliard School of Drama, NY, 1976.
- director, San Francisco Opera, CA, 1977.
- director, 13 Rue de l'Amour, Circle in the Square, NY, 1978, and GeVa, Rochester, NY, 1979.
- director and adapter, The Free Lance, Opera Company of Philadelphia, PA,Iowa State Center, IA, and Academy of Music, Philadelphia, PA, 1979.
- director, 13 Rue de l'Amour, Elizabethan Trust, Sydney and Melbourne, Australia, 1980.
- director, The Free Lance, Wolf Trap, VA, 1980.
Credits; MAJOR TOURS
- Actor and manager, The Traveling Repertory Theater, U.K. cities, 1941.
- Birmingham Repertory Theater, U.K. cities, mining towns, munition factories, army camps, 1942.
- actor and director, Saint Joan, Germany, Holland, Belgium, France, 1944.
- Traveling Repertory Theater, U.K. cities, 1946.
- actor, Hostile Witness, U.S. cities, 1966.
- director, 13 Rue de l'Amour, U.S. cities, 1978.
- TELEVISION DEBUT--BBC, London, 1937.
Credits; PRINCIPAL TELEVISION APPERANCES
- Robert Montgomery Presents, 1952.
- Playhouse 90, Omnibus, 1953.
- "Macbeth," Hallmark Hall of Fame, 1955.
- "Mallory on Everest," You Are There, 1956.
- "Pygmalion," Hallmark Hall of Fame, 1963.
- Love's Labour's Lost, Women Beware Women, King Arthur, all BBC, 1964.
- "Eagle in a Cage," Hallmark Hall of Fame, 1965.
- The Secret Storm, 1968, Love of Life, 1968.
- El Capitan, The Free Lance, The Bride Elect.
Other articles you might like: