Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Marla Singer to Rod Steiger
Thomas Skelton Biography (1927-)
Full name, Thomas Reginald Skelton, Jr.; born September 24, 1927, in North Bridgton, ME; son of Thomas Reginald and Mary Ellen (Anderson) Skelton. Addresses: OFFICE--c/o Ohio Ballet, 354 E. Market Street, Akron, OH 44325.
- Birth Details
- September 24, 1927
- North Bridgton, Maine, United States
Credits; FIRST OFF-BROADWAY WORK--Lighting designer
- The Enchanted, Renata Theatre, 1958.
PRINCIPAL STAGE WORK; LIGHTING DESIGNER; NEW YORK CITY,EXCEPT AS NOTED
- Calvary, Santa Claus, and Escurial, 1960.
- Misalliance, 1961.
- Oh Dad, Poor Dad, Mama's Hung You in the Closet and I'm Feelin' So Sad, 1962 and 1963.
- In the Summer House, Wiener Blut, and Zizi, 1964.
- Sing to Me Through Open Windows, and The Day the Whores Came Out to PlayTennis, 1965.
- Your Own Thing, Mike Downstairs, Jimmy Shine, and Big Time Buck White, 1968.
- Does a Tiger Wear a Necktie?, Come Summer, Henry V, Much Ado About Nothing, Hamlet, The Three Sisters, A Patriot for Me, Indians, and Coco, 1969.
- Purlie, Mahagonny, Bob and Ray: The Two and Only, and Lovely Ladies, KindGentlemen, 1970.
- The Survival of St. Joan, 1971.
- Remote Asylum and Design for Living, both in Los Angeles, 1971.
- The Selling of the President, Rosebloom, The Lincoln Mask, The Secret Affairs of Mildred Wild, and Purlie, 1972.
- Status Quo Vadis, Gigi, and Waltz of the Toreadors, 1973.
- Brainchild, Philadelphia, 1974.
- Where's Charley? and Absurd Person Singular, 1974.
- Shenandoah, All God's Chillun' Got Wings, Death of a Salesman,A Musical Jubilee, and The Glass Menagerie, 1975.
- A Matter of Gravity, Guys and Dolls, and Days in the Trees, 1976.
- Caesar and Cleopatra, Romeo and Juliet, and The King and I, 1977.
- The November People and The Kingfisher, 1978.
- Peter Pan and Oklahoma!, 1979.
- Oklahoma!, Jacksonville Auditorium, FL, 1980.
- Brigadoon, Majestic Theatre, New York City, 1980.
- The West Side Waltz, Spreckels Theatre, Seattle, WA, 1980, then Fifth Avenue Theatre, San Diego, CA, then Ethel Barrymore Theatre, New York City, 1981.
- Camelot, New York State Theatre, New York City, 1980, then Winter GardenTheatre, New York City, 1981.
- Can-Can, Minskoff Theatre, New York City, 1981.
- Lena Horne: The Lady and Her Music, Nederlander Theatre, New York City, 1981.
- Family Devotions, New York Shakespeare Festival, Public Theatre, New YorkCity, 1981.
- Little Johnny Jones, Alvin Theatre, New York City, 1982.
- Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, Alvin Theatre, New York City, 1982.
- Show Boat, Uris Theatre, New York City, 1983.
- Dance a Little Closer, Minskoff Theatre, New York City, 1983.
- Mame, Gershwin Theatre, New York City, 1983.
- Peg, Lunt-Fontanne Theatre, New York City, 1983.
- Death of a Salesman, Broadhurst Theatre, New York City, 1984.
- Lighting designer for repertory productions at Boston Opera Company; YaleRepertory Company; American Shakespeare Festival, Stratford, CT; National Opera of Belgium; Circle in the Square, New York City; National Opera of Holland; American Dance Festival; American Spoleto Festival; Jones Beach RepertoryTheatre.
- Parade, Massine Company.
- The Green Table, Joos Company.
- Astarte, Joffrey Ballet Company.
- Dances at a Gathering, New York City Ballet Company.
- Scenes from Childhood, Poll Company.
- Aurole, Paul Taylor Dance Company.
- The Poor's Pavane, Jose Limon Company.
- Kettentanz, Arpino Company.
- Tiller of the Fields, Tudor Company.
- Rodeo, DeMille Company.
- Rooms, Anna Sokolow Company.
- Concerto Barocco, Ballanchine Company.
- A Footstep of Air, Eliot Feld Ballet Company.
- Set and lighting designer: Astarte and The Beautiful Bait, both with theJoffrey Ballet Company, 1962.
- Sleeping Beauty, Pennsylvannia Ballet Company.
- The Medium and the Telephone, The Passion Play, Dancers of Bali, Compulsions, all with the Poll Company.
- Lighting designer for other dance companies, including: Dancers of Bali,Inbal Escudero, Mary Anthony Dance Theatre, Ballet Folklorico de Mexico, Pearl Lang Company, Merce Cunningham Company, Shankar Company, National Ballet ofChile, Ballet of the Twentieth Century, Grand Ballet Canadienne, National Ballet of Canada, Pearl Primus Company, The Royal Ballet, American Ballet Theatre, Boston Ballet, National Ballet of Australia, Nureyev and Friends, Narkarove Company, Ohio Ballet; Other designs for Bacalor, Haiti; Arirang, Korea; Feux Follet, Canada, and Foo Hsing, Formosa.
- Turn of the Screw, San Francisco Opera.
- The Old Maid and the Thief, Comic Opera Players.
- Come Slowly Eden, for the American National Theatre Academy (ANTA) Matinee Series, New York City.
- Faces, Berghof Studio, New York City.
- Carmen, Theatre de la Monaie.
Credits; MAJOR TOURS
- Lighting designer, Peter Pan, U.S. cities, 1982-83.
- Lighting designer, Lena Horne: The Lady and Her Music, U.S. cities, 1982-84.
- Handbook of Dance Stagecraft and Lighting, 1955.
Other articles you might like: