Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Jules Tasca to Sam Trammell
Thomas Toner Biography (1928-)
Born May 25, 1928, in Homestead, PA; son of Peter James (an engineer) and AnnMarie (Connolly) Toner. Addresses: AGENT--c/o Sheila Robinson, International Crative Management, 40 West 57th St., New York, NY 10019.
- Birth Details
- May 25, 1928
- Homestead, Pennsylvania, United States
- STAGE DEBUT--Father, Come Marching Home, Catholic Theatre Guild, Pittsburgh, 1945.
- BROADWAY DEBUT--Geronte, Tricks, Alvin Theatre, 1972.
Credits; PRINCIPAL STAGE APPEARANCES
- Shriner, Light up the Sky, Tokyo International Players, Japan, 1951.
- The Live Wire, Gallery Theatre, Los Angeles, 1955.
- Romanoff and Juliet, L. Howe, Sunrise at Campobello, janitor, The Bad Seed, Made in Heaven, The Gazebo, and Susan Slept Here, all at Deep Well Playhouse, Palm Springs, CA, 1955.
- Nina and Black Chiffon, both Lobero Playhouse, Santa Barbara, CA, 1959.
- At Alley Theatre, Houston, TX: Janitor, Library Raid, Oscar, Little Foxes, Jane, An Enemy of the People, Six Characters in Search of an Author, King,Ondine, and father, The Winslow Boy, all 1960-61; Johnny, Misalliance; Corbacchio, Volpone, Majority of One, ghost and gravedigger, Hamlet, Dan Ponder, The Ponder Heart, and Amphitryon 38, all 1961-62.
- Glogower, The Time of Your Life, Mr. Pugh, Under Milkwood, Corbacchio, Volpone, Twleve Angry Men, Pat, The Hostage, Joel, All the Way Home, and The Threepenny Opera, all Arena Stage, Washington, DC, 1962-63.
- Burgomaster, The Visit, Ferdinand, Time Remembered, and Davies, The Caretaker, all Olney Theatre, MD, 1963.
- Friar Mignon, The Devils, Battle Dream, Boniface, Hotel Paradiso, The Wall, The Affair, The Taming of the Shrew, and Smellicue, Dark of the Moon, allArena Stage, 1963-64.
- Witherspoon, Leave It to Jane, Chaplain, Mother Courage, and Dufort, Sr.,Thieves Carnival, all Olney Theatre, 1964.
- title role, Galileo, Center Stage, Baltimore, MD, 1964.
- Ragpicker, The Madwoman of Chaillot, and Fluther, The Plough and the Stars, both Charles Playhouse, Boston, 1965.
- Danforth, The Crucible, and Pat, The Hostage, both Long Wharf Theatre, New Haven, CT, 1965.
- Pat, The Hostage, Pennsylvania State Festival, 1965.
- Swinden, The Devil's Disciple, Sid, Ah, Wilderness!, Right You Are, Grandpa, You Can't Take It with You, Duel of Angels, Bookseller, Sholem Aleichem,Mamaev, Diary of a Scoundrel, Einstein, The Physicists, Dorn, The Sea Gull, Davies, Caretaker, Harry,A Delicate Balance, Harpagon, The Miser, Burgess, Candida, old Cardinal, Galileo, De Stogember, St. Joan, and Napoleon, War and Peace, all Alley Theatre, 1965-68.
- title role, King John, Polonius, Hamlet, Adam, As You Like It, title role, Julius Caesar, Balthazar and widow, Comedy of Errors, and doctor, witch, and porter, Macbeth, all Old Globe Theatre, San Diego, CA, 1968-69.
- Chronicles of Hell and The Misanthrope, both A.P.A. Theatre, Ann Arbor, MI, 1969.
- Dr. Schoenfeld, Scubba Dubba, Huntington Hartford Theatre, Los Angeles, 1969.
- Monsignor Polycarpe, Murderous Angels, and Pap, Crystal and Fox, both Mark Taper Forum, Los Angeles, 1970.
- John of Gaunt, Richard II, Dogberry, Much Ado about Nothing, and title role, Cymbeline, all Old Globe Theatre, 1970.
- Carlisle, Richard II, Seattle Repertory Theatre, WA, 1971.
- Gremio, The Taming of the Shrew, A Midsummer Night's Dream, and Antony and Cleopatra, all Old Globe Theatre, 1971.
- John of Gaunt, Richard II, Ahmanson Theatre, Los Angeles, and Kennedy Center, Washington, DC, 1971.
- Gloucester, King Lear, Dr. Rank, A Doll's House, Ben Franklin, 1776, Pelinore, Camelot, and The Rothschilds, all North Shore Music Theatre, MA, 1973.
- old man and clerk, The Good Doctor, Eugene O'Neill Theatre, New York City, 1974.
- Pericles and The Merry Wives of Windsor, both New York Shakespeare Festival (NYSF), Delacorte Theatre, New York City, 1974.
- Hastings, Richard III, Mitzi Newhouse Theatre, Lincoln Center, New York City, 1974.
- Quince, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Mitzi Newhouse Theatre, 1975.
- Dr. Morris, All Over Town, Booth Theatre, New York City, 1975.
- Olin Potts, A Texas Trilogy, Kennedy Center, Washington, DC, then Broadhurst Theatre, New York City, 1976.
- Herdal, The Masterbuilder, Kennedy Center, Washington, DC, 1977.
- California Suite, Eugene O'Neill Theatre, 1977.
- Archie Lee, Tiger Tail, Alliance Theatre, Atlanta, 1978.
- Senator Jones, Let 'Em Eat Cake, Berkshire Theatre Festival, 1978.
- Judge, The Inspector General, Circle in the Square, New York City, 1978.
- Davies, The Caretaker, Olney Theatre, 1979.
- Van Buren, Damn Yankees, Hartford Stage Company, CT, 1980.
- Ross, Bishop, and Snork, The Elephant Man, Booth Theatre, 1980.
- Boyle, Juno and the Paycock, Pittsburgh Public Theatre, 1981.
- Title role, Da, South Coast Repertory Company, Costa Mesa, CA, 1982.
- Burns, The Front Page, Seattle Repertory Company, 1983.
- Police Chief, Accidental Death of an Anarchist, Mark Taper Forum, 1983.
- Nat Danziger, The Big Knife, and Dr. Chumley, Harvey, both Berkshire Theatre Festival, 1983.
- Sir, The Dresser, Alley Theatre, 1983.
- Weller, The Gin Game, Olney Theatre, 1983.
- Bert Cruickshank, Over My Dead Body, Hartman Theatre, Stamford, CT, 1984.
- Gerry and Grandpa, Life and Limb, Playwrights Horizons, New York City, 1985.
- Elbow, Measure for Measure, NYSF, Delacorte Theatre, 1985.
- Gilbert, Sullivan and Gilbert, Huntington Theatre, Boston, 1985.
- Gil, Little Footsteps, Playwrights Horizons, 1986.
- Hethersett the Butler, Me and My Girl, New York City, 1986.
Credits; MAJOR TOURS
- Murder in the Cathedral, Vox Poetica Company, U.S. cities, 1958.
- Doctor, witch, and porter, Macbeth, U.S. cities, 1968.
- Dr. Morris, All over Town, U.S. cities, 1975.
- Ross, Bishop, and Snork, The Elephant Man, Florida cities and other U.S.cities, 1980.
Credits; PRINCIPAL FILM APPEARANCES
- Cash McCall, Warner Brothers, 1960.
- Midnight Lace, Universal, 1960.
- Caper of the Golden Bulls, Embassy, 1967.
- I Love My Wife, Universal, 1970.
- Return of Count Yorga, American International, 1971.
- Glass Houses, Columbia, 1972.
- Sunday Dinner, American Film Institute, 1974.
- On the Yard, Midwest, 1979.
- Splash, Touchstone, 1984.
Credits; PRINCIPAL TELEVISION APPEARANCES; SERIES
- H. Bakewell, Another World, NBC.
- Colonel Jamison, As the World Turns, CBS.
- All My Children.
- Guiding Light.
- Kaz, CBS.
- Kate and Allie, CBS.
- The Kennedy Project.
- MINI-SERIES The Adams Chronicles, PBS.
Other articles you might like: