Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Bette Henritze to Clint Howard
Vernon Hinkle Biography (1935-)
Addresses: Home: 470 W. 24th Street, New York, NY, 10011; Office: 437W. 22nd Street, New York, NY, 10011.
"Plays became private fantasies on the farm where I was brought up, isolatedfrom friends my own age. Sometimes in later years, it became difficult to collaborate on a fantasy, as in theatre work. After some unhappy experiences trying, I started my first novel and enjoyed the privacy and control. Finally restless, I emerged from the novelist's cocoon with a new readiness to collaborate in theatre, even with some entrepreneuring spirit--a necessary quality for most playwrights who want to work in, not out of, the theatre. If my work is any one thing besides eclectic, it is mystery, in the sense that each piece (novel or play) is a puzzle or a quest for unknown answers. In this respect, I regard most fiction as mystery."
- playwright, director
- Birth Details
- July 23, 1935
- Amsterdam, New York
- Writer, J.C. Penney Company, 1971-77.
First Stage Work
- Playwright, Before Gabriel Blew, Ithaca College, 1954.
New York Debut
- Playwright, Characters in a Play, LaMama E.T.C.. six performances,1965.
Principal Stage Work
- Directed: Polka Dot Playhouse, Bridgeport, CT--A Streetcar Named Desire, The Male Animal, Middle of the Night, Born Yesterday, 1978 season.
Principal Stage Appearances
- Actor, After Maigret, Quaigh Theatre, NY, 1983.
Before Gabriel Blew, Ithaca College, 1954; Musicians of Bremen, Bradford College, 1963; Characters in a Play, LaMama E.T.C., NY,1965; The Concept (The Showcase), O'Neill Theatre Center, 1969; Edna, Kansas Wesleyan University, 1973; If I'm Dead, Start without Me, Polka Dot Playhouse, Bridgeport, CT, 1982.
- (novels) Music to Murder By, 1978; under pseudonym, H. V. Elkin: Eagle Man, 1978; Playground, 1979; Yellowstone, 1980; Mustang, 1980; Tiger's Chance, 1980.
- Drama Instructor, Bradford College, Bradford, MA, 1961-66; Chairman DramaDepartment, Bradford College, Bradford, MA, 1966-71.
Other articles you might like: