Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Joe Viterelli to Orson Welles
Lawrence Welk Biography (1903-1992)
Born March 11, 1903, in Strasburg, ND; died May 17, 1992; son of Ludwig (a blacksmith) and Christine (Schwab) Welk; married Fern Renner (a nurse), April 18, 1931; children: Shirley J. Welk Fredricks, Donna Welk Mack, Larry.Welk, who had been battling the effects of pneumonia, died peacefully on May 17, 1992at his home in Santa Monica, California, with his family at his side.
- Birth Details
- March 11, 1903
- Strasburg, North Dakota, United States
- Death Details
- May 17, 1992
- Santa Monica, California
Credits; TELEVISION APPEARANCES; SERIES
- Host, Champagne Music Makers, ABC, 1955.
- Host, The Lawrence Welk Show, ABC, 1955-71, syndicated, 1971-83, PBS, 1987--.
- Host, Lawrence Welk's Top Tunes and New Talent, ABC, 1955-59.
- Host, Memories with Lawrence Welk, syndicated, 1982-83.
- Appeared in the series Hi, I'm Glen Campbell, 1976.
Credits; TELEVISION APPEARANCES; SPECIALS
- On Tour with Lawrence Welk, syndicated, 1985.
Credits; FILM APPEARANCES
- Lost in America, Warner Bros., 1985.
- Good Morning, Vietnam, Buena Vista, 1987.
- Appeared in the movies Career Opportunities, 1991, and Straight Talk, 1992.
- Calcutta, Dot, 1961.
- Guidelines for Successful Living, New American Library, 1969.
- (With Bernice McGeehan) Wunnerful, Wunnerful! The Autobiography of Lawrence Welk, Prentice-Hall, 1971.
- (With Bernice McGeehan) Ah-One, Ah-Two! Life With My Musical Family, Prentice-Hall, 1974.
- Lawrence Welk's Sing-a-Long Book, Crown, 1976.
- (With Bernice McGeehan) My America, Your America, Prentice-Hall, 1976.
- (With Bernice McGeehan) Lawrence Welk's Musical Family Album, Prentice-Hall, 1977.
- (With Bernice McGeehan) Lawrence Welk's Bunny Rabbit Concert (juvenile),Youth Publications, Saturday Evening Post, 1978.
- (With Bernice McGeehan) This I Believe, Prentice-Hall, 1979.
- (With Bernice McGeehan) You're Never Too Young, Prentice-Hall, 1981.
- Contributor to periodicals, including American Legion.
- Elwood, Roger, editor, Believing: Myron Floren and Friends' Scrapbook: Intimate Glimpses From the Lawrence Welk TV Family, Standard Publishing, 1980.
- Facts on File, May 21, 1992, p. 380.
- Maclean's, December 21, 1992, p. 54.
- Newsweek, June 1, 1992, p. 76.
- People Weekly, June 1, 1992, p. 103.
- Time, June 1, 1992, p. 27.
- Variety, May 25, 1992, p. 70.
Other articles you might like: