Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Brian Patrick Clarke to Charlotte Cornwell
Carolyn Coates Biography ((?)-)
Born April 29, in Oklahoma City, OK; daughter of Glenn Clinton and Jessica Amanda (Owen) Coates; married James Noble.
Carolyn Coates has appeared in new play readings and performances for six seasons at the O'Neill Playwrights Conference in Waterford, CT.
- Birth Details
- April 29,
- Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, United States
- DEBUT--Title role, A Modern Cinderella, Children's Theatre, Santa Monica,CA, 1939.
- NEW YORK DEBUT--Miss Jessell, The Innocents, Gramercy Arts Theatre, 1959.
- LONDON DEBUT--The Woman, A Whitman Portrait, Open Space Theatre, 1969.
Credits; PRINCIPAL STAGE APPEARANCES
- Madame Irma, The Balcony, Circle in the Square Downtown, NY, 1961.
- Hecuba, The Trojan Women (played this role for eighteen months after replacing actress Mildred Dunnock), Circle in the Square, NY, 1964.
- Miss Alithea, The Country Wife, 1965, Johanna, The Condemned of Altona, 1966, various roles, The Caucasian Chalk Circle, all three with the RepertoryTheatre of Lincoln Center, Vivian Beaumont Theatre, NY.
- Madame Arkadina, The Seagull, Madame Ranevskaya, The Cherry Orchard, bothWilliamstown, MA, 1965-66.
- The Woman, A Whitman Portrait, Gramercy Arts Theatre, NY, 1966.
- Helen Radamacher, The Party on Greenwich Avenue, Cherry Lane Theatre, NY,1967.
- Agnes, A Delicate Balance, Studio Arena, Buffalo, NY, 1967.
- Elmira Ruggles, The Club Bedroom, Theatre de Lys, NY, 1967.
- title role, Phaedra, Studio Theatre, Theatre Company of Boston, 1968.
- second nurse, The Death of Bessie Smith, Mrs. Barker, The American Dream(double bill), Billy Rose Theatre, NY, 1968.
- Elinor, The Lion in Winter, Studio Arena, Buffalo, NY, 1968.
- Lorna, Fire!, Longacre Theatre, NY, 1969.
- Agnes, A Scent of Flowers, Martinique Theatre, NY, 1969.
- Ophelia Beans, Dirty Gertie, and Nicotine Flightpath, The Disintegrationof James Cherry, Lincoln Center Repertory Theatre, Forum Theatre, NY, 1970.
- Marge, Other People, Berkshire Theatre Festival, Stockbridge, MA, 1970.
- Beatrice, The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds, New Theatre, NY, 1971.
- Agnes, A Delicate Balance, Mary Tyrone, A Long Day's Journey into Night,Kate, Old Times, all Cincinnati Playhouse, Cincinnati, OH, 1973.
- Aimee Semple McPherson, Alive and Well in Argentina, St. Clement's Church, NY, 1974.
- Regina, The Little Foxes, Indiana Repertory Company, Indianapolis, IN, 1974.
- Queen Margaret, Richard III, Long Wharf Theatre, New Haven, CT, 1975.
- Hester, Equus, Coconut Grove Playhouse, FL, 1975.
- Hesione Hushabye, Heartbreak House, Arena Stage, Washington, DC, 1976.
- Constance, The Autumn Garden, Long Wharf Theatre, New Haven, 1976.
- Louise, Five Finger Exercise, Ruth, Blithe Spirit, both Walnut Street Theatre, Philadelphia, 1977.
- Mrs. Eastman-Cuevas, In the Summerhouse, Manhattan Theatre Club, NY, 1977.
- Hester, Equus, Playhouse in the Park, Philadelphia, 1977.
- Three Plays by Thornton Wilder, McCarter Theatre, Princeton, NJ, 1977.
- Gertrude, Hamlet, Playmakers Repertory, NC, 1978.
- Coward in Two Keys, Studio Arena, Buffalo, 1978.
- Myra, Deathtrap, Parker Playhouse, Ft. Lauderdale, FL, 1978.
- Lyda, The Road to the Graveyard, as part of Marathon '85, Ensemble StudioTheatre, NY, 1985.
Credits; MAJOR TOURS
- Standby for Geraldine Page (the Princess Cosmonopolis), Sweet Bird of Youth, national tour, 1960.
Credits; PRINCIPAL FILM APPEARANCES
- The Hustler, Twentieth Century-Fox, 1961.
- The Effect of Gamma Rays on Man-in-the-Moon Marigolds, Twentieth Century-Fox, 1973.
- TELEVISION DEBUT--As a mime, 1957.
Credits; PRINCIPAL TELEVISION APPEARANCES; EPISODIC
- Knots Landing.