Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Rachel Luttrell to Robert Markowitz
Jonathan Lynn Biography (1943-)
Born April 3, 1943, in Bath, England; son of Robin (a physician) and Ruth Helen (a sculptor; maiden name, Eban) Lynn; married Rita Eleanora Merkelis (a psychotherapist), August 1, 1967. Addresses: HOME--29 Etheldene Avenue,London N10, England.
- Birth Details
- April 3, 1943
- Bath, England
- NEW YORK DEBUT--Cambridge Circus on Broadway, with the Footlights Company, Plymouth Theatre, 1954.
- LONDON DEBUT--Bob Lacey, Green Julia, Traverse Theatre Company, New ArtsTheatre, 1965.
Credits; PRINCIPAL STAGE APPEARANCES
- Motel the tailor, Fiddler on the Roof, Her Majesty's Theatre, London, 1967.
- Angus, Bill, Blue Comedy, Open Space Theatre, London, 1968.
- Hitler, A Comedy of the Changing Years, Theatre Upstairs, London, 1969.
- Gerald Forbes, When We Are Married, Strand Theatre, London, 1970.
Credits; PRINCIPAL STAGE WORK; DIRECTOR
- Four Degrees Over, Northcott Theatre, Exeter, U.K., 1970.
- The Glass Menagerie, The Gingerbread Man, both Cambridge Theatre Company,Cambridge, U.K., 1977.
- The Unvarnished Truth, Cambridge Theatre Company, then Phoenix Theatre, London, both 1978.
- The Matchmaker, Cambridge Theatre Company, then Her Majesty's Theatre, London, both 1978.
- Songbook, Cambridge Theatre Company, then Globe Theatre, London, both 1979.
- Anna Christie, Royal Shakespeare Company, Stratford-on-Avon, U.K., 1979,then London, 1980.
- The Moony Shapiro Songbook, Morosco Theatre, New York City, 1981.
- Jacobowsky and the Colonel, The Magistrate, Three Men on a Horse, all National Theatre Company, 1986-87.
- Also directed John Gould's one-man show, 1970; The Plotters of Cabbage Patch Corner, 1971.
Credits; PRINCIPAL FILM APPEARANCES
- Suspicion, upcoming.
Credits; PRINCIPAL FILM WORK
- Director, Clue, Paramount, 1985.
Credits; PRINCIPAL TELEVISION APPEARANCES; SPECIALS
- Barmitzvah Boy.
- The Knowledge.
- Pig of the Month.
- Clue, Paramount, 1985.
- The Internecine Project; also training films for Video Arts.
- (With George Layton) My Brother's Keeper, Granada, 1974-75.
- (with Antony Jay) Yes, Minister, BBC, 1980-81.
- (with Jay) Yes, Prime Minister, BBC.
- Also Doctor in Charge, Doctor at Sea, My Name Is Harry Worth, all LondonWeekend Television; and co-author of more than sixty television scripts.
- A Proper Man, Heinemann, 1976.
- (with Jay) Yes, Minister: The Diaries of the Right Honourable James Hacker, Volume 1, BBC Publications, 1981.
- The Complete "Yes, Minister," Salem House, 1987.
- Also The Diaries of a Cabinet Minister: 3 Volumes.