Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Karim Prince to Brad Renfro
Ray Recht Biography (1947-)
Born August 9, 1947, in New York, NY; son of Morton (a certified public accountant) and Lillian F. (an accountant; maiden name, Dembner) Recht; married Claire Des Becker (a ceramic designer), June 27, 1982. Addresses: Office--267 West 89th St., New York, NY 10024-1725.
- Birth Details
- August 9, 1947
- New York, New York, United States
Credits; Stage Work; Set Designer, Except Where Indicated
- (And media and lighting designer) Happy End, Yale Repertory Theatre, NewHaven, CT, 1972.
- Medal of Honor Rag, Theatre de Lys, New York City, 1975.
- (Associate designer) Woman of the Year, Palace Theatre, New York City, 1981.
- Anyone Can Whistle, Berkshire Theatre Festival, Stockbridge, MA, 1981.
- (Associate designer) The First, Martin Beck Theatre, New York City, 1982.
- Trick, Broadway production, 1982.
- Slab Boys, Playhouse, New York City, 1983.
- The Babe, Broadway production, 1984.
- A ... My Name Is Alice, Top of the Gate, Village Gate Theatre, New York City, 1984.
- Planet Fires, GeVa Theatre, 1985.
- Lies My Father Told Me, Jewish Repertory Theatre, New York City, 1985-86.
- The Real Thing, Pittsburgh Public Theatre, Pittsburgh, PA, 1985-86.
- Gardenia, Pittsburgh Public Theatre, 1985-86.
- Our Own Family, Jewish Repertory Theatre, 1986-87.
- Joe Egg, Theatre by the Sea, Portsmouth, NH, 1986-87.
- Isle of Swans, Westside Arts Theatre Upstairs, New York City, 1987.
- Half a World Away, Jewish Repertory Theatre, 1987-88.
- Yard Sale, Jewish Repertory Theatre, 1987-88.
- Like Them That Dream, Capital Repertory Company, Albany, NY, 1987- 88.
- Thursday's Child, Capital Repertory Company, 1987-88.
- Isolate, Westbeth Theatre Center, New York City, 1988.
- The Sunshine Boys, Jewish Repertory Theatre, 1988-89.
- Double Blessing, Jewish Repertory Theatre, 1988-89.
- (And lighting designer) Laughing Matters, Arts Common Theatre at St. Peter's Church, New York City, 1989.
- George Washington Slept Here, Pittsburgh Public Theatre, 1989-90.
- Reckless, Pittsburgh Public Theatre, 1989-90.
- Noises Off, Pennsylvania Stage Company, Allentown, 1989-90.
- The Witch, Jewish Repertory Theatre, 1989-90.
- Dividends, Jewish Repertory Theatre, 1989-90.
- What's Wrong with This Picture?, Jewish Repertory Theatre, 1990-91.
- Taking Stock, Jewish Repertory Theatre, 1990-91.
- A Fierce Attachment, Jewish Repertory Theatre, 1990-91.
- Lusting after Pipino's Wife, Primary Stages, New York City, 1990, 1991.
- Better Days, Primary Stages, 1991.
- Don Quixote (ballet), Vienna Staatsoper Ballet Company, Vienna, Austria,1991.
- I Do! I Do!, Pittsburgh Public Theatre, 1991-92.
- Shmulnik's Waltz, Jewish Repertory Theatre, 1991-92.
- The Sunset Gang, Jewish Repertory Theatre, 1991-92.
- Twelfth Night, Hudson Guild Theatre, 1992.
- The Dolphin Position, Primary Stages, 1992.
- Them ... within Us, Theatre Row Theatre, New York City, 1992.
- The Old Lady's Guide to Survival, Pittsburgh Public Theatre, 1992- 93.
- The King of Carpets, Jewish Repertory Theatre, 1993.
- Tangents, George Street Playhouse, New Brunswick, NJ, 1993-94.
- The Flowering Peach, Lyceum Theatre, New York City, 1994.
- Set designer for The Offering and Black Body Blues, both Negro Ensemble Company; A Backer's Audition and Mensch Meier, both Manhattan Theatre Club; Judgement, Theatre at St. Peter's, Citicorp Center; Upstairs at O'Neals, O'Neals Theatre at 43rd Street; A Hell of a Town, West Side Arts Theatre; and manyregional theatre productions at Actor's Theatre of Louisville, Louisville, KY, Barter Theatre, Capitol Repertory Theatre, Center Stage, Folger Theatre, Washington, DC, Indiana Repertory Theatre, Manitoba Theatre Centre, and McCarter Theatre, Princeton, NJ. Opera work includes set design assistant to David Mitchell, The Italian Straw Hat, Santa Fe Opera, NM; and set designer for OneChristmas Long Ago, Manhattan School of Music, New York City; The Impressarioand Aunt Caroline's Will, both Mannes College of Music, New York City; Werther, Opera Ensemble of New York; Song of Norway, Pittsburgh Civic Light Opera,Pittsburgh; and Peter Grimes, Yale Symphony, New Haven, CT. Designer for touring production of Sarafina!, 1990.
Credits; Film Work; Art Director, Except Where Indicated
- (Assistant) All That Jazz, Columbia, 1978.
- (Assistant art director) Just Tell Me What You Want, Warner Bros., 1980.
- (Assistant production designer) The First Deadly Sin, Filmways, 1980.
- Amityville II: The Possession, Orion, 1982.
- Exposed, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer/United Artists, 1983.
- Mortal Sins, Academy Entertainment, 1989.
- Missing Pieces (also known as Auf der Sonnenseite des Lebens), Orion/HBOHome Video, 1990.
- Dangerous Obsession, Panorama Entertainment, 1991.
- The Search for One-Eye Jimmy, Northern Arts Entertainment, 1996.
Credits; Television Specials; Set Designer
- Almost Partners, CBS, 1987.
- All That Glitters, 1990.
- The Story behind the Story, 1990.
Credits; Other Television Work
- Art director, French-American Perspective, Telefrance, cable, 1982.
- Set designer, Another World (series), NBC, 1984.
- Art director, Way Cool, 1991.
- Also art director for the cable presentation The Babe, Corniche Productions.
Other articles you might like: