Willard Manus Biography (1930-)
Addresses: Home: 248 Lasky Drive, Beverly Hills, CA, 90212.
"My plays look radically unlike each other. Their settings range from the bleachers of the old Polo Grounds to a dirt farm in Oklahoma to a garbage dump in Pittsburgh. In the future I hope to change gears even more and write a series of short stories, or perhaps a novel, dealing with my experiences living on a Greek island from 1965 to 1978. Enough though, I shouldn't go on talking about my work because, to paraphrase Samuel Beckett, I doubt whether I'm qualified to do so." Speaks Greek and owns a home on a Greek island wherehe enjoys "freediving" and spearfishing.
- writer, playwright
- Birth Details
- September 28, 1930
- New York
- Non-Theatrical Career
- Reporter, Yonkers Daily Times, NY, 1953; writer, CBS, John Henry, Faulk Show, 1953-54; managing editor, Bounty, NY, 1955; publicity director, Macmillan Publishing Company, NY, 1962-64; free-lance writer inLindos, Rhodes, Greece, 1965-70; foreign correspondent in the Mediterranean,Financial Post, Ontario, Canada, 1970-78.
- Plays, Produced
- The Bleachers (one-act), Public Theatre, NY, 1975; Junk Food (new version of Cretures of the Chase), Actors Theatre of Los Angeles, CA, 1981, revised second production, 1982; The kendo Master, Company of Angels Theatre, Los Angeles, CA, 1981; Bon Appetit, Group Repertory Theatre, Hollywood, CA, 1983.
- Plays Unproduced
- "Deepest Hunger"; "The Second God"; "The Yard"; "Man in the Sun"; "The Love Boutique."
- Television Scripts
- Secrets of Midland Heights, 1980; Shannon, 1981; Too Close for Comfort, 1983.
- Plays, Published
- Creatures of the Chase, 1967.
- Books (novels)
- The Fixers, 1957; Mott the Hoople, 1967; The Fighting Men, 1982; (non-fiction)--This Is Lindos, 1974; (children's)--The Proud Rebel, 1959; Sea Treasure, 1962; The Mystery of theFlooded Mine, 1964; The Island Kids, 1974.
- Articles, Stories Published
- Argosy (United Kingdom), Blackwood's Magazine, Holiday, Nation, New Leader, Observer, Quest, Venture, Chicago Tribune, Denver Post, NewYork Times, San Francisco Chronicle, Washington Post.
- Theatre-Related Career
- Publicity Director, Cecilwood Summer Playhouse, Fishkill, NY, 1956-59; Film and Theatre Critic, Century City News, Los Angeles, CA, 1980.