Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Ruby R. Levitt to Eric Lutes
Baz Luhrmann Biography (1962-)
Original name, Mark Anthony Luhrmann; born September 17, 1962, in Sydney, NewSouth Wales, Australia; son of Leonard (a farmer, petrol station owner) Luhrmann and his wife, a dress shop owner and ballroom dance teacher; married Catherine Martin (a production designer and producer), January 1997. Addresses: Agent: International Creative Management, 8942 Wilshire Blvd., BeverlyHills, CA 90211.; Contact: c/o Hilary Linstead, 500 Oxford St., Bondi Junction NSW 2022, Australia.
- Director, screenwriter, producer, production designer, actor
- Birth Details
- September 17, 1962
- Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- Director, Strictly Ballroom, Miramax, 1992
- Director and producer, Romeo + Juliet (also known as William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet and Romeo and Juliet), Twentieth Century-Fox, 1996
- Director and producer, Moulin Rouge!, Twentieth Century-Fox, 2001
- Also codirector of Kids of the Cross.
- Pete, Winter of Our Dreams, Enterprises/Satori, 1981
- First student, The Dark Room, 1982
- Able Seaman A. W. Huston, The Highest Honor--A True Story (also known as Minami Jujisei and Southern Cross), Nelson Entertainment, 1982
- Also appeared in Kids of the Cross.
- Director, Strictly Ballroom, National Institute of Dramatic Arts,Sydney, Australia, then World Youth Theatre Festival, Czechoslovakia, 1986, later Wharf Theatre, Sydney, and World Expo, Brisbane, Australia
- Director, Crocodile Creek, New Moon Theatre Company, Australia, 1987
Dance Hall, Sydney Festival, Sydney, 1989
- Director and production designer, La Boheme, Australian Opera, Melbourne, Australia, 1990
Lake Lost, 1990
- Director, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Australian Opera, then Edinburgh Festival, Edinburgh, Scotland, 1994
La Boheme, Broadway Theatre, New York City, 2002
- Also directed the opera Lake Lost.
- Opera director, "La Boheme," Great Performances, PBS, 1994
- Himself, Havoc's Luxury Suites and Conference Facility, 2001
- Himself, Rove Live, 10 Network, 2001
- Also appeared in A Country Practice, 7 Network.
- Himself, The Night Club of Your Dreams: The Making of Moulin Rouge(documentary), HBO, 2001
Albums; As a Producer
Baz Luhrmann Presents ... Something for Everybody, EMD/Capitol, c.1999
- Singles include "Everybody's Free to Wear Sunscreen."
- Director of music videos, including John Paul Young, "Love in the Air," and Ignatius Jones, "Beat Me Daddy."
- (With Craig Pearce) Strictly Ballroom, Miramax, 1992
- (With Pearce) Romeo + Juliet (also known as William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet and Romeo and Juliet), Twentieth Century-Fox, 1996
Moulin Rouge!, Twentieth Century-Fox, 2001
Strictly Ballroom, produced at National Institute of Dramatic Arts, Sydney, Australia, then World Youth Theatre Festival, Czechoslovakia, 1986,later Wharf Theatre, Sydney, and World Expo, Brisbane, Australia
- Also originated (with Felix Meagher) the opera, The Pure Merino Fandango.
Baz Luhrmann in Moulin Rouge! A Film Directed by Baz Luhrmann, 2001
- Guest editor of the premier issue of Australian Vogue.
Billboard, April 10, 1999, p. 11
Newsweek, May 28, 2001, p. 58
Variety, April 2, 2001, p. 35; April 16, 2001, p. 7