Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Willie Aames to Steven Anderson
Jo Harvey Allen Biography (1943-)
Born c. 1943; father, a carpenter; mother, a dress shop manager; married Terry Allen (an artist, musician, writer, and director), 1961; children: Bukka (son; a musician and songwriter), Bale (son; a writer). Education: Attended high school in Lubbock, TX. Addresses:
Agent-- Pakula/Kingand Associates, 9229 West Sunset Blvd., Suite 315, West Hollywood, CA. Career: Performance artist, actress, writer, and songwriter. Anderson Ranch,guest artist. Addresses: Agent: Pakula/King and Associates, 9229 WestSunset Blvd., Suite 315, West Hollywood, CA.
- Performance artist, actress, writer, songwriter
- The lying woman, True Stories,1986
- Madame Olga, Tapeheads,1988
- Barbara, Checking Out, Warner Bros., 1989
- Women's awareness teacher, Fried Green Tomatoes(also known asFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe), Universal, 1991
- Mom, Floundering, A-pix Entertainment, 1994
- Claudette, The Client, Warner Bros., 1994
- Voice of a chicken, Chicken Run(animated; also known as C:R-1), DreamWorks Distribution, 2000
- Effie Belle Tate, Cold Sassy Tree, TNT, 1989
- Dahlia, Floating Away, Showtime, 1998
- Reva, Scattering Dad, CBS, 1998
- Vonda, The Outfitters, Sundance Channel, 1999
- Abolene, Elysian Fields, CBS, 1989
The Road, TNN, 1994
Do You Know Where Your Children Are Tonight?,1985
Pioneer(opera), Theatre Artaud, San Francisco, CA, 1991
Chippy: Diaries of a West Texas Hooker, American Music Theatre Festival, Philadelphia, PA, then John Jay Theatre, New York City, 1994
Homerun(solo show), DiverseWorks Art Space, Houston, TX, 1998
Pioneer(opera), U.S. cities, 1992
Homerun(solo show), U.S. cities, 1998
- Also performed in As It Is in Texas and Counter Angel(soloshows) and in Hally Lou.
- Narrator, Every Three Minutes, New American Radio, 1989
Bleeder, New American Radio, 1990
- Narrator, Reunion (A Return to Juarez),1992
- Narrator, Dug-Out, New American Radio, 1993
- (With Terry Allen, Bukka Allen, and Bale Allen) Do You Know Where YourChildren Are Tonight?,1985
- (With Terry Allen) Pioneer(opera), Theatre Artaud, 1991
- (With Terry Allen and others) Chippy: Diaries of a West Texas Hooker, American Music Theatre Festival, then John Jay Theatre, 1994
- Author of As It Is in Texas and Counter Angel(solo shows) and Hally Lou.
- Author of the book The Beautiful Waitress. Contributor to magazines.
People Weekly, October 12, 1987 , p. 97.
Texas Monthly, July 12, 1994 , p. 60.
Westways, September 12, 1992 .
Other articles you might like: