Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Daniel J. Travanti to Dick Vitale
Agnes Varda Biography (1928-)
Born May 30, 1928, in Brussels, Belgium; daughter of Eugene Jean (an engineer) and Christiane (Pasquet) Varda; married Jacques Demy (a director), January8, 1962; children: Rosalie and Mathieu. Addresses: OFFICE--c/o Cine Tamaris, 86 Rue Daguerre, 75014 Paris, France.
- Birth Details
- May 30, 1928
- Brussels, Belgium
Credits; FILM APPEARANCES
- Nun, Les Demoiselles de Rochefort (also known as The Young Girls of Rochefort), Warner Brothers/Seven Arts, 1968.
- Also appeared in Lions Love, Raab, 1969; Jane B. par Agnes V. (also knownas Birkin Double Jeu I, Birkin Diptych I, and Jane B. By Agnes V.), CapitalCinema/Cine Tamaris, 1988.
Credits; FILM WORK; DIRECTOR
- FIRST FILM WORK--Director and producer, La Pointe courte, Cine Tamaris, 1954.
- O Saisons, o chateaux (short documentary film), Films de la Pleiade, 1957.
- L'Opera-Mouffe (short documentary film), Cine Tamaris, 1958.
- Du cote de la cote (short documentary film), Argos, 1958.
- Cleo de 5 a 7 (also known as Cleo from 5 to 7), Rome-Paris Films, 1961, released in the United States by Zenith International, 1962.
- Salut les Cubains (short documentary film; also known as Salute to Cuba),S.N. Pathe Cinema, 1962.
- Le Bonheur (also known as Happiness), Parc, 1965, released in the UnitedStates by Clover, 1966.
- Les Creatures (also known as Varelserna), Parc, 1966, released in the United States by New Yorker, 1969.
- (co-director) Loin du Vietnam (also known as Far from Vietnam), Slon/NewYorker, 1967.
- Black Panthers (also known as Huey; short documentary film), Cine Tamaris, 1968.
- Oncle Janco (short documentary film), Cine Tamaris, 1968.
- (also producer) Lions Love, Raab, 1969.
- (Also producer) Daguerreotypes (documentary), Cine Tamaris, 1975, released in the United States by Films Incorporated, 1976.
- Reponse de femmes (short film), Cine Tamaris, 1975, released in the United States, 1977.
- (also producer) L'Une chante l'autre pas (also known as One Sings, the Other Doesn't), Cine Tamaris/Societe Francaise de Production/Institut Nationalde l'Audiovisuel and Contretemps/Paradise/Population, 1976, released in the United States by Cinema V, 1977.
- (also producer) Mur Murs (also known as Wall Walls and Mural Murals.documentary), Cine Tamaris, 1981.
- (also producer) Documenteur (also known as Documenteur: An Emotion Picture), Cine Tamaris, 1981.
- (also editor) Sans toit ni loi (also known as Vagabond), Cine Tamaris, 1985, released in the United States by International Film Exchange, 1986.
- (also producer and editor) Jane B. par Agnes V. (also known as Birkin Double Jeu I, Birkin Diptych I, and Jane B. by Agnes V.), Capital Cinema/Cine Tamaris, 1988.
- (also producer) Kung Fu Master, Expanded Entertainment, 1989.
Credits; Also director, unless indicated, of short films and documentaries
- Plaisir d'amour en Iran, 1975; producer, Lady Oscar, 1978; Ulysse, 1982;Une Minute pour une image, 1983; 7P; Cuis, S. de B ... a saisir, 1984; Les Dites cariatides, 1984; T'as de beaux escaliers, tu sais ..., 1986.
Credits; TELEVISION APPEARANCES; SPECIALS
- Three Women Filmmakers, PBS, 1987.
- FILM; SEE PRODUCTION DETAILS ABOVE,UNLESS INDICATED La Pointe courte, 1954.
- O Saisons, o chateaux, 1957.
- Du cote de la cote, 1958.
- L'Opera-Mouffe, 1958.
- (also composer and lyricist) Cleo de 5 a 7, 1961.
- Salut les Cubains, 1962.
- Le Bonheur, 1965.
- Les Creatures, 1966.
- (co-writer) Loin du Vietnam, 1967.
- Black Panthers, 1968.
- Oncle Janco, 1968.
- Lions Love, 1969.
- (dialogue only with others) L'Ultimo tango a Parigi (also known as Last Tango in Paris), United Artists, 1971.
- Daguerreotypes, 1975.
- Reponse de femmes, 1975.
- (also songwriter) L'Une chante l'autre pas, 1976.
- Mur Murs, 1981.
- Documenteur, 1981.
- Ulysse, 1982.
- Une Minute pour une image, 1983.
- Les Dites cariatides, 1984.
- 7P; Cuis, S. de B ... a saisir, 1984.
- Sans toit ni loi, 1985.
- T'as de beaux escaliers, tu sais ..., 1986.
- Jane B.
- par Agnes V., 1988.
- Kung Fu Master, 1989.
- Nausicaa, 1970.
- Contributor to journals and periodicals.