Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Nicholas Selby to Marc Singer
Ira Siff Biography (1946-)
Born February 15, 1946, in New York, NY; son of Theodore (a stock broker) andJeanne (Barth) Siff. Addresses: OFFICE--La Gran Scena Opera Company,211 E. Eleventh Street, New York, NY 10003. AGENT--Arthur Shafman International Ltd., 723 Seventh Avenue, New York, NY 10036.
Mr. Siff comments on his career in material submitted to CTFT: "I began goingto the opera at the old Met when I was fifteen. I was struck both by the artform and by the super voices and super egos of the divas. I studied singingprivately while obtaining my degree in fine arts and eventually the singing overshadowed the visual arts. I began to teach singing and to sing professionally as a baritone/tenor. I always possessed a strong falsetto and comic ability and so in 1981, I formed La Gran Scena Opera Company as a tribute to the opera diva."
- Birth Details
- February 15, 1946
- New York, New York, United States
- OFF-BROADWAY DEBUT--Pablo Picasso, About Time, Judson Poet's Theatre, forsixteen performances, 1970.
Credits; PRINCIPAL STAGE APPEARANCES
- Ira, Joan, Circle in the Square, New York City, 1972.
- performed for ten years in various productions Off-Broadway, at the New York Shakespeare Festival, at the Arena Stage in Washington, DC, and in various cabarets in New York City.
- leading player, La Gran Scena Opera Company (a parody troupe), performedat the Orpheum Theatre, New York City, Entermedia Theatre, New York City, Actors Playhouse, New York City, two seasons at Town Hall, New York City.
Credits; MAJOR TOURS
- With La Gran Scena Opera Company: Tower Theatre, Houston.
- Davis Hall, San Francisco.
- San Diego Opera.
- Gusman Cultural Center, Miami, FL.
- Teatro Municipal, Caracas, Venezuela.
- Theatre Festival, Munich, West Germany.
- TELEVISION DEBUT--Pharoah, The Haggadah, PBS, 1981.
Credits; PRINCIPAL TELEVISION APPEARANCES
- Live broadcast, Munich Germany with La Gran Scena Opera Company, 1985.
Other articles you might like: