Rolf Fjelde Biography (1926-)
Addresses: Home: 261 Chatterton Parkway, White Plains, NY, 10606; Office: DeKalb Hall 3, Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, NY, 11205; Agent: Samuel FrenchInc., 25 W. 45th Street, New York, NY, 10036.
"I began as a poet, writing, publishing and reviewing poetry and editing two'little magazines.' My first work ... a poem-suite titled Washington, was composed in response to Ezra Pound's injunction to make my work 'a barometer of the times.' Having always loved the theatre, I wasdrawn to the translation of Ibsen, because I sensed ... a sensitive barometer of our entire civilization--of the immense shift of consciousness in the nineteenth century that broke from what he termed the preceeding First and Second Empires, of the deepest tendencies of our own age. My life since engagingwith Ibsen's achievement has been a constantly renewed attempt to followout those implications, to understand them better, and thereby keep ultimatefaith with a central vision that is evolving through seeming chaos and unremitting struggle toward a future of unprecedented promise."
- playwright, educator, poet
- Plays, Produced
- One Simple Flower, 1956; Port Harmony, 1957; Switzerland, 1967; The Rope Walk, 1968; Rafferty One by One, 1970; The Bernini Look, 1981.
- Books Published
- Washington, 1955; The Imaged Word, 1963; Ibsen: Four Major Plays, 1965-70; Ibsen: A Collection of Critical Essays, 1965; Ibsen: The Complete Major Prose Plays, 1978; Peer Gynt (Ibsen works, translations with interpretive introductions).
- Poetry, Articles, Short Stories, Review
- Hudson Review; Paris Review; Poetry; Voices; Epoch; Western Review; New Republic; New York Times Book Review; The Drama Review; Modern Drama; IbsenYearbook; Scandinavian Review; Columbia Forum.
- Theatre-Related Career
- Editor Yale Poetry Review, 1945-49; editor, Poetry New York, 1949-51; editor, Ibsen News and Comment, 1979-present; lecturer in Drama History, Julliard School, NY, 1973-83; professor of English and Drama, Pratt Institute, NY, 1954-present; guest lecturer on Drama at Harvard University, Yale University, the College of William and Mary, Cambridge College, Columbia University, New York University and the Universities of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Ohio, South Carolina, Missouri, Temple University, and PBS Television.