Gerome Ragni Biography (1942-1991)
Born September 11, 1942, in Pittsburgh, PA (one source says Canada); died ofcancer, July 10, 1991, in New York, NY; son of Lawrence and Stephanie (Williams) Ragni; married wife, Stephanie, May 18, 1963; children: Eric.
- actor, writer
- Birth Details
- September 11, 1942
- Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
- Death Details
- July 10, 1991
- New York, New York, United States
- Credits; Stage Appearances
- War, Village South Theatre, New York City, 1963.
- Hamlet, Lunt-Fontanne Theatre, New York City, 1964.
- Hang Down Your Head and Die, Mayfair Theatre, New York City, 1964.
- Tom, The Knack, New Theatre of Brooklyn, New York City, 1964.
- Viet Rock, Martinique Theatre, New York City, 1966.
- Berger, Hair (also see below), Anspacher Theatre, New York City, 1967, then Biltmore Theatre, New York City, and national touring company, U.S.cities, both 1968.
- Made stage debut as Father Corr, Shadow and Substance, Washington,DC, 1954; also appeared at Village Gate nightclub, New York City, 1974.
- Credits; Film Appearances
- Hamlet, Warner Brothers, 1964.
- Lions Love, Raab, 1969.
- Credits; Book And Lyrics For Stage Musicals
- (With James Rado) Hair: A Tribal Love-Rock Musical (two-act; musicby Galt MacDermot; includes songs "Aquarius," "Hair," "Easy to Be Hard," "Where Do I Go?," "Good Morning Starshine," "Flesh Failures [Let the Sun Shine In]"), first produced at New York Shakespeare Festival Theatre, New York City,1967, revised version first produced at Biltmore Theatre, New York City, 1968, published by Pocket Books, 1969.
- Dude, the Highway Life (music by MacDermot), produced at BroadwayTheatre, New York City, 1972.
- (With Rado) Jack Sound and His Dog Star Blowing His Final Trumpet on the Day of Doom (music by Steve Margoshes), produced at Ensemble Studio Theatre, New York City, 1977.
- Also collaborated with Rado and MacDermot on musical Sun.
- Credits: Adaptations
- Hair was adapted for film by Michael Weller and released by UnitedArtists, 1979.
- Contemporary Authors, Volume 105, Gale, 1982, pp. 396-99.
- Los Angeles Times, July 15, 1991, p. A22.
- New York Times, July 13, 1991, p. 9.*