Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Wes Anderson to Sarah Badel
Joseph Attles Biography (1903-)
Addresses: Home: 240 W. 65th Street, New York, NY, 10023.
"We need more Black producing companies and more Black people interested in putting money behind Black talent, willing to take risks. We don't take enough risks right now, enough chances.... In all business, there is chance. Weshouldn't lose our Black talent and artistry."
- Birth Details
- April 7, 1903
- James Island, South Carolina
- Member of a quartet giving summer concerts at Congregational gatherings throughout South Carolina.
New York Debut
- Hall Johnson Choir, Lafayette, 1926.
Principal Stage Appearances
- Porgy, Blackbirds of 1928, Liberty, NY, 1928; Sam/Bad Stacker Lee,John Henry, 44th Street, NY, 1940; understudy, Sportin' Life, Porgy and Bess, Ziegfeld, NY, 1953; Akufo, Kamina, 54th Street, NY, 1961; Chicken-Crow-for-Day, Tambourines to Glory, Little, NY, 1963;Father, Jerico-Jim Crow, Sanctuary, NY, 1964; Brother Green/John Henry, Cabin in the Sky, Greenwich Mews, NY, 1964; Innkeeper, The Exception and the Rule, Greenwich Mews, 1965; Exhorter, The Prodigal Son, Greenwich Mews, NY, 1965; Pious, The Day of Absence, St. Marks Playhouse, NY, 1965: King Lear, Vivian Beaumont, Lincoln Center, NY, 1968;A Cry of Players, Vivian Beaumont, Lincoln Center, NY, 1968; Josh, The Reckoning, St. Marks Playhouse, NY, 1969; One Man Show, The Worldof Paul Lawrence, 1970; Sweets, No Place to Be Somebody, HartfordStage Company, CT, 1971; Pops, The Duplex, Forum, NY, 1972; Henry, The Last of Mrs. Lincoln, ANTA, NY, 1972.
- Blackbirds of 1928, international tour, 1928-29; Sportin Life, Porgy,and Bess, international tour, 1952-56: Checkers Clark, Bubbling BrownSugar, national tour, 1976.
Principal Film Appearances
The Swimmer, 1968; LBJ, 1969; The Liberation of Lord Baron Jones, 1969; Pursuit of Happiness, 1971; Going Home, 1971; The Gang That Couldn't Shoot Straight, 1971; Across 110th Street, 1972; The Gambler, 1974; The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3,1974.
Principal Television Appearances
Weddin' Band, 1974; Bad Girl, 1974; Love's SweetSong, 1974; Harriet Tubman, 1974; Beacon Hill, 1975.
Principal Night Club Appearances
- Plantation Club, NY, 1929; Kit Kat Club, NY, 1938; The New Plantation Club, NY, 1938-39; Vecchia Roma, Rome, Italy, 1956; Copacabana, NY, 1960.
Other articles you might like: