Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Brock Peters to Jonathan Prince
Robin Phillips Biography (1942-)
Born February 28, 1942, in Haslemere, England; son of James William and EllenAnne (Barfoot) Phillips. Addresses: OFFICE--Stratford Shakespeare Festival, Box 520, Stratford, ON, Canada.
- Birth Details
- February 28, 1942
- Haslemere, England
- STAGE DEBUT--Mr. Pubb, The Critic, Bristol Old Vic Theatre Company, Theatre Royal, Bristol, U.K., 1959.
Credits; PRINCIPAL STAGE APPEARANCES
- Romeo, Romeo and Juliet, Konstantin, The Seagull, Geoffrey, A Taste of Honey, all Bristol Old Vic Theatre Company, Theatre Royal, Bristol, U.K., 1959-60.
- Eric MacClure, South, Lyric Hammersmith Theatre, London, 1961.
- Curio, The Chances, Prophilus, The Broken Heart, both Chichester Festival, Chichester, U.K., 1962.
- son, Six Characters in Search of an Author, May Fair Theatre, London, 1963.
- Louis Dubedat, The Doctor's Dilemma, Chichester Festival, 1972.
- Also appeared with the Oxford Playhouse Company, 1964.
Credits; PRINCIPAL STAGE WORK; ALL AS DIRECTOR UNLESS INDICATED
- Assistant director, Timon of Athens, Hamlet, both Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC), Stratford-on-Avon, U.K., 1965.
- The Ballad of the False Barman, Hampstead Theatre Club, London, 1966.
- The Seagull, Thorndike Theatre, Leatherhead, U.K., 1969.
- Tiny Alice, RSC, Aldwych Theatre, London, 1970.
- Sing a Rude Song, Greenwich Theatre, then Garrick Theatre, both London, 1970.
- Abelard and Heloise, Wyndham's Theatre, London, 1970.
- Two Gentlemen of Verona, RSC, Memorial Theatre, Stratford-on-Avon, U.K.,then Aldwych Theatre, 1970.
- Abelard and Heloise, Brooks Atkinson Theatre, New York City, 1970.
- Dear Antoine, Chichester Festival, Chichester, U.K., 1971.
- The Beggars Opera, The Lady's Not for Burning, both Chichester Festival,1972.
- The Three Sisters, The House of Bernarda Alba, Rosmersholm, Catsplay, Zorba, Not Drowning But Waving, all Company Theatre, Greenwich, U.K., 1973.
- Also directed Dear Antoine, London, 1971; Caesar and Cleopatra, London, 1971; Miss Julie, London, 1971; Notes on a Love Affair, London, 1972; The Guardsman, Los Angeles, CA, 1976; Long Day's Journey into Night, London, 1977.
- DIRECTOR, ALL WITH THE STRATFORD SHAKESPEARE FESTIVAL, STRATFORD, ON,CANADA The Comedy of Errors, Two Gentlemen of Verona, Measure for Measure, Trumpets and Drums, The Importance of Being Earnest, all 1975.
- Antony and Cleopatra, A Midsummer Night's Dream, The Way of the World, Hamlet, The Tempest, Measure for Measure, The Importance of Being Earnest, all1976.
- A Midsummer Night's Dream, The Guardsman, Richard III, As You Like It, Hay Fever, all 1977.
- Macbeth, The Winter's Tale, Uncle Vanya, Private Lives, Judgement, The Devils, all 1978.
- Love's Labour's Lost, The Importance of Being Earnest, King Lear, all 1979.
- The Beggar's Opera, Virginia, Much Ado about Nothing, Foxfire, The Seagull, Long Day's Journey into Night, all 1980.
Credits; MAJOR TOURS
- Co-director, The Comedy of Errors, Two Gentlemen of Verona, U.S.
- cities, both 1975.
Credits; PRINCIPAL FILM APPEARANCES
- Decline and Fall, Twentieth Century-Fox, 1969.
Credits; PRINCIPAL TELEVISION APPEARANCES; MOVIES
- Title role, David Copperfield, NBC, 1970.
- The Seagull.
Other articles you might like: