Tony Kushner Biography (c. 1956-)
Born c. 1956, in New York, NY; son of Bill (a clarinetist and conductor) andSylvia (a bassoonist) Kushner. Addresses: Agent--Joyce Ketay, 1501 Broadway, Suite 1910, New York, New York 10024, U.S.A.
- Birth Details
- c. 1956
- New York, New York, United States
- Credits; STAGE WORK
- Director, Yes Yes No No: The Solace-of-Solstice, Apogee/Perigee, Bestial/Celestial Holiday Show, Imaginary Theatre Company, Repertory Theatre of St. Louis, St. Louis, MO, 1985.
- Director and designer of sets and costumes, In Great Eliza's Golden Time, Repertory Theatre of St. Louis, MO, 1986.
- Director, Golden Boy, Repertory Theatre of St. Louis, 1986.
- Credits; STAGE APPEARANCES
- Letter from New York to Sarajevo, Union Square Theatre, 1995.
- Credits; TELEVISION APPEARANCES; SPECIALS
- The 47th Annual Tony Awards, CBS, 1993.
- In Search of Angels, PBS, 1994.
- Credits; TELEVISION APPEARANCES; EPISODIC
- "In the Wings: Angels in America on Broadway" (also see below), GreatPerformances, PBS, 1993.
- Yes Yes No No: The Solace-of-Solstice, Apogee/Perigee, Bestial/Celestial Holiday Show, Imaginary Theatre Company, Repertory Theatre of St. Louis, St. Louis, MO, 1985.
- Actors on Acting, Imaginary Theatre Company, Repertory Theatre ofSt.
- Louis, 1985-86.
- In Great Eliza's Golden Time, Repertory Theatre of St. Louis, 1986.
- The Protozoa Revue, Repertory Theatre of St. Louis, 1986.
- The Illusion (adaptation of a play by Pierre Corneille), New YorkTheatre Workshop, New York City, 1988, then Hartford Stage Company, Hartford,CT, and Los Angeles Theatre Center, Los Angeles, both 1989- 90.
- A Bright Room Called Day, produced in London, then Public Theatre/LuEsther Hall, New York City, both 1990-91.
- Angels in America: A Gay Fantasia on National ThemesPart One: Millennium Approaches(produced in San Francisco, 1991), Hern, 1992.
- Angels in America: A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, Part Two: Perestroika, produced in New York City, 1992.
- A Meditation from Angels in America, Harper San Francisco, 1994.
- Slavs! Thinking About the Longstanding Problems of Virtue and Happiness, Theatre Communications Group, 1995.
- A Dybbuk, or Between Two Worlds(adapted from Joachim Neugroschel'stransation of the original play by S. Ansky; produced in New York City at the Joseph Papp Public Theater, 1997), Theatre Communications Group, 1997.
- The Good Person of Szechuan(adapted from the original play by Bertolt Brecht), Arcade, 1997.
- Tony Kushner in Conversation, edited by Robert Vorlicky, University of Michigan Press, 1997.
- (With Eric Bogosian and others) Love's Fire: Seven New Plays Inspiredby Seven Shakespearean Sonnets, Morrow, 1998.
- Henry Box Brown, or the Mirror of Slavery, performed at the RoyalNational Theare, London, 1998.
- Death & Taxes: Hydriotaphia, and Other Plays, Theatre Communications Group (New York, NY), 2000.
- Angels in America (screenplay; directed by Robert Altman), in production.
- Also author of La Fin de la Baleine: An Opera for the Apocalypse,produced in New York City, 1982; and The Heavenly Theatre, New York City, c.1986.
- Other Works
- Adaptations: Angels in America was adapted as a motion picture bydirector Robert Atlman, c. 1995.
- New York, November 30, 1992, p. 59.
- New Yorker, June 21, 1993, p. 31.