Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Melissa Errico to Colleen Fitzpatrick
Gene Feist Biography (1930-)
Born January 16, 1930, in New York, NY; son of Henry (an automobile mechanic)and Hattie (a beautician; maiden name, Fishbein) Feist; married Kathe Schneider (professional name, Elizabeth Owens; an actress), February 10, 1957; children: Nicole, Gena. Addresses: OFFICE--Roundabout Theatre Company, 100E. 17th Street, New York, NY 10003.
- Birth Details
- January 16, 1930
- New York, New York, United States
- FIRST STAGE WORK--Director, The Matchmaker, New Theatre, Nashville, TN, 1958.
- FIRST NEW YORK STAGE WORK--Director, Picnic on the Battlefield, Cherry Lane Theatre, 1962.
Credits; PRINCIPAL STAGE WORK; PRODUCER AND DIRECTOR
- Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Separate Tables, Children of Darkness, The Crucible, Relative Strangers, The Boy Friend, A Clearing in the Woods, all New Theatre, Nashville, TN, 1958-59.
- Look Back in Anger, Does Poppy Live Here?, La Boheme, As You Like It, Orpheus Descending, Brigadoon, Fallen Angels, No Time for Sergeants, Stock and Trade, and Say, Darling, all New Theatre, 1959- 60.
- Also directed at numerous regional theatres, 1963-65.
- PRODUCER AND DIRECTOR, ALL ROUNDABOUT THEATRE COMPANY,ROUNDABOUT THEATRE,NEW YORK CITY The Father, The Miser, Pelleas and Melisande, Pins and Needles,all 1966-67.
- Waiting for Lefty, The Bond, King Lear, The Importance of Being Earnest,all 1968-69.
- Journey's End, King Lear, Candida, Dance of Death, Trumpets and Drums, Jocasta and Oedipus, Lady from Maxim's, all 1969-70.
- producer, Macbeth, 1970.
- Hamlet, 1970.
- producer, Tug of War, 1970.
- Uncle Vanya, Charles Abbott and Son, She Stoops to Conquer, The Master Builder, all 1971.
- producer, "Tales of Odessa" and "On the Harmfulness of Tobacco" as An Evening of Russian Theatre, 1971.
- The Taming of the Shrew, Misalliance, John Whiting's Conditions of Agreement, all 1972.
- Right You Are If You Think You Are, 1972.
- producer, American Gothics, Anton Chekhov's Garden Party, both 1972.
- The Play's the Thing, Ghosts, both 1973.
- producer, The Caretaker, Miss Julie, The Death of Lord Chatterly, The Father, all 1973.
- The Seagull, The Circle, both 1974.
- producer, The Burnt Flowerbed, Rosmersholm, both 1974.
- producer, All My Sons, Roundabout Stage One Theatre, 1974.
- PRODUCER, ALL WITH THE ROUNDABOUT THEATRE COMPANY,NEW YORK CITY The Rivals, James Joyce's Dublin, What Every Woman Knows, Summer and Smoke, Dear Mr. G., all Roundabout Stage One Theatre, 1975.
- Clarence, The Cherry Orchard, The World of Sholom Aleichem, A Month in the Country, Love and Intrigue, The Merchant of Venice, The Philanderer, The Rehearsal, all Roundabout Stage One Theatre, 1976.
- (also director) John Gabriel Borkman, Roundabout Stage One Theatre, 1977.
- (also director) Endgame, Naked, both Roundabout Stage Two Theatre, 1977.
- Dear Liar, You Never Can Tell, both Roundabout Stage One Theatre, 1977.
- (also director) Othello, Pins and Needles, both Roundabout Stage One Theatre, 1978.
- The Promise, The Show-Off, both Roundabout Stage Two Theatre, 1978.
- Candida, Little Eyolf, Awake and Sing, Family Business, Diversions and Delights, A Month in the Country, all Roundabout Stage One Theatre 1979.
- Dark at the Top of the Stair, Roundabout Stage Two Theatre, 1979.
- Heartbreak House, Look Back in Anger, Here Are the Ladies, Don Juan in Hell, The Bloodknot, The Dance of Death, She Stoops to Conquer, The Winslow Boy, all Roundabout Stage One Theatre, 1980.
- A Taste of Honey, Roundabout Stage Two Theatre, 1981.
- Faces of Love, Hedda Gabler, Kurt Weill Cabaret, Inadmissible Evidence, Misalliance, all Roundabout Stage One Theatre, 1981.
- Martha Schlamme, Dear Liar, The Caretaker, The Fox, The Chalk Garden, OldTimes, all Roundabout Stage One Theatre, 1982.
- The Twelve-Pound Look, The Browning Version, both Roundabout Stage Two Theatre, 1982.
- (also director) Playing with Fire, Miss Julie, both Roundabout Stage TwoTheatre, 1982.
- The Learned Ladies, Haft Theatre, 1982.
- The Holly and the Ivy, Susan Bloch Theatre, 1982.
- The Entertainer, Duet for One, The Knack, The Master Builder, all Roundabout Stage One Theatre, 1983.
- Winners/How He Lied to Her Husband, The Killing of Sister George, both Susan Bloch Theatre, 1983.
- Ah, Wilderness!, Haft Theatre, 1983.
- Old Times, Desire Under the Elms, and Come Back, Little Sheba, all Roundabout Stage One Theatre, 1984.
- On Approval, Susan Bloch Theatre, 1984.
- She Stoops to Conquer, Triplex Theatre, 1984.
- A Day in the Death of Joe Egg, Haft Theatre, 1984.
- The Playboy of the Western World, An Enemy of the People, Voice of the Turtle, all New Roundabout Theatre, 1985.
- Mrs. Warren's Profession, Room Service, The Master Class, A Raisin in theSun, all Christian C. Yeger Theatre, 1985-86.
- A Man for All Seasons, The Miracle Worker, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, all Christian C. Yeger Theatre, 1986-87.
Credits; MAJOR TOURS; PRODUCER
- The Winslow Boy, U.S. cities, 1980.
- A Raisin in the Sun, U.S. cities, 1985.
Writings;PLAYS; SEE PRODUCTION DETAILS ABOVE
- (Adaptor) Relative Strangers, 1958.
- Jocasta and Oedipus, 1970.
- (adaptor) Lady from Maxim's, 1970.
- (adaptor) Uncle Vanya, 1971.
- (adaptor) The Master Builder, 1971.
- (adaptor) Ghosts, 1973.
- (adaptor) Naked, 1978.
- James Joyce's Dublin, 1975.
- Also wrote Wretched the Lionhearted, A Toy for the Clowns, Building Blocks, and adapted works of Strindberg and Salacrou.
Other articles you might like: