Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Wes Anderson to Sarah Badel
Michael Anthony Biography (1920-)
Born Michael Chodzko, September 26, 1920, in St. Helier, Jersey, England; sonof Alexander Victor (a mariner and journalist) and Letitia Caroline (Elrington) Chodzko; married Mary Stuart (an actress), November 15, 1948 (divorced);married Bernadette Milnes (an actress), June 20, 1973 (divorced); children: Frances Caroline, Lysette. Addresses: HOME--Domaine des Emeraudes, 83420, La Croix Valmer, France. OFFICE-- c/o Spotlight, 43 Cranbourne Sreet, London WC2 7AP, England.
- Birth Details
- September 26, 1920
- St. Helier, Jersey, England
- STAGE DEBUT--Christopher, The Passing of the Third Floor Back, Frank Forbes Robertson Company, tour of U.K. cities, 1933, for eighty-five performances.
- LONDON DEBUT--Your Number's Up, Gate Theatre, 1935, for fifty performances.
Credits; PRINCIPAL STAGE APPEARANCES
- Weekly repertory at Palladium Theatre, Edinburgh, Scotland, U.K., 1934-35; appeared in several revues, including Gate Revue, 1935-36, Spread It Around, 1936, Floodlight Revue, 1938, Nine Sharp, 1938-39, and A la Carte, 1946; played in repertory, Cambridge Arts Theatre, Cambridge, U.K., 1945; Prince Charming, The Glass Slipper, St. James Theatre, London.
- Also appeared in Peace in Our Time, 1947, King's Rhapsody, 1948, and morerecently in The Sleeping Prince, Royal Haymarket Theatre, The Dresser, Queen's Theatre, and as Mephistopheles in Dr. Faustus, Fortune Theatre, all London. Performed numerous roles at Chichester Festival Theatre, Chichester, U.K.,1981-83.
Credits; MAJOR TOURS
- Sir, The Dresser, U.K. cities.
- FILM DEBUT--Vicomte de Nanjac, An Ideal Husband, London Films, 1947.
Credits; PRINCIPAL FILM APPEARANCES
- Lieutenant James, The Guards, Rank, 1955.
- hotel manager, To Paris with Love, Rank, 1955.
- various roles, Oh Rosalindha, Rank, 1956.
- Le Cure Aumonier, Wet Stuff, Columbia, 1956.
- Kapt. Shultz, Night Ambush (also known as Ill Met By Moonlight), Rank, 1957.
- Captain Le Blanc, I Accuse!, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM), 1958.
- hotel manager, Indiscreet, Rank, 1958.
- passenger on boat deck, A Night to Remember, Rank, 1958.
- Baron de Granville, Becket, Paramount, 1964.
- French porno director, Darling, Rank, 1965.
- French Ambassador, Khartoum, Rank/Columbia, 1966.
- Major Von Krauss, The Dirty Dozen, MGM, 1967.
- Pere Bellargue, Mosquito Squadron, Mirisch Films, 1969.
- Duc de Montmorency, Mata-Hari, Cannon, 1985.
- Also played Captain Jameson, Moment Dangereuse, Pathe; Mr. Smethson, UneNuit de Venise, Pathe; and numerous roles in a series of British comedy filmsstarring Norman Wisdom.
- TELEVISION DEBUT--Dorothy Parker sketch, BBC, 1939.
Credits; PRINCIPAL TELEVISION APPEARANCES; EPISODIC
- Appeared on many British television series; also French detective, Private Investigator, BBC; "Antony and Cleopatra," "Timon of Athens," both JonathanMiller's Shakespearian Saga, BBC.
- MINI-SERIES Dr. Lacoste, War and Remembrance, ABC, upcoming.
- M. Dubois, Svengali, BBC.
- cobbler, The Pickwick Papers, BBC.
- Georges Clemenceau, Lloyd George, BBC.
- French foreign minister, The Suez Affair, BBC.
- Monsieur Dubois, Trilby, BBC.
- Slip Road from Solombala.
- Bottom Right Hand Corner.
Other articles you might like: