Robert Fryer Biography (1920-2000)
Born November 18, 1920, in Washington, DC; son of Harold and Ruth (Reade) Fryer. Addresses: OFFICE--CTG/Ahmanson Theatre, 135 N. Grand Avenue, LosAngeles, CA 90012.
In 1971, Fryer became the artistic director of the Center Theatre Group of the Ahmanson Theatre, Los Angeles Music Center and has currently produced nineteen consecutive seasons (fifty-six productions).
Fryer died on May 28, 2000, of complications from Parkinson's disease at theage of 79.
- Birth Details
- November 18, 1920
- Credits; PRINCIPAL STAGE WORK; PRODUCER
- A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (with George Abbott), Alvin, NY, 1951.
- Wonderful Town, NY, 1953.
- By the Beautiful Sea (with Lawrence Carr), Alvin, NY, 1954.
- The Desk Set, NY, 1955.
- Shangri-La, NY, 1955.
- Auntie Mame, NY, 1956.
- Redhead (with Lawrence Carr), NY, 1959.
- Saratoga, Winter Garden, NY, 1959.
- There Was a Little Girl, NY, 1960.
- Advise and Consent, NY, 1960.
- A Passage to India, NY, 1962.
- Hot Spot, Majestic, NY, 1963.
- Roar Like a Dove, NY, 1964.
- A Dream of Swallows, NY, 1964.
- Sweet Charity (with Lawrence Carr and Joseph Harris), Palace, NY, 1966.
- Mame (with Lawrence Carr and Sylvia and Joseph Harris), Winter Garden, NY, 1966.
- Chicago (with James Cresson), 46th Street Theatre, NY, 1975.
- The Norman Conquests, NY, 1975.
- On the Twentieth Century (with Harold Prince), St. James, NY, 1978.
- Sweeney Todd (with Richard Barr, Charles Woodward, Mary Lea Johnson, Martin Richards, and Dean and Judy Manos), Uris, NY, 1979.
- Merrily We Roll Along, Alvin, NY, 1981.
- Noises Off, Brooks Atkinson, NY, 1984.
- Benefactors, NY, 1985.
- Also between 1971 and 1985 produced fifty-six (56) productions for the Ahmanson Theatre, Center Theatre Group, Los Angeles, CA.
- Credits; PRINCIPAL FILM WORK; PRODUCER
- The Boston Strangler, Twentieth Century-Fox, 1968.
- The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, Twentieth Century-Fox, 1969.
- Travels with My Aunt, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, 1972.
- Mame, Warner Brothers, 1974.
- The Abdication, Warner Brothers, 1974.
- Voyage of the Damned, Avco-Embassy, 1977.
- The Boys from Brazil, Twentieth Century-Fox, 1978.
- The Shining, Warner Brothers, 1980.
- Credits; PRINCIPAL TELEVISION WORK; PRODUCER
- Wonderful Town, 1959.
- Great Expectations, 1975.