Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Arthur Marks to John McEnery
Tanny McDonald Biography (1940-)
Addresses: Home: 125 W. 96th Street, New York, NY, 10025; Agent: c/o Jim Wilhelm, 35 W. 96th Street, New York, NY, 10025.
"My early years were spent training as a classical pianist (Nadia Boulanger,Jean Doyen, Jean Casadesus; master classes under Artur Rubenstein and RobertCasadesus), culminating in two Paris recitals. Vocal study in New York (Hunter College Opera Workshop, William Weibel of Metropolitan Opera, Olga Ryss) led to New York performances as Pamina and Papagena in The Magic Flute,and as Musetta in La Boheme. I went into theatre to do the classics. Iwould read a play and say to myself, 'I know that person. I can show youwho she is.' I believe in the joy of live theatre: of actually being outthere doing it; of developing the skills to do it--body, voice, intellect, experience. Whenever I don't get a part I covet, I go back to the drawingboard, and I take pride and pleasure in moving back and forth between straight drama and musicals, applying the techniques and skills of one to the other."
- actress, singer
- Birth Details
- February 13, 1940
- Princeton, Indiana
- Member of American Savoyards, performing complete Gilbert and Sullivan repertoire, Jan Hus Theatre, New York, 1960.
- Fredel, Fiddler on the Roof, Imperial, 1964.
Principal Stage Appearances
- Gypsy Mother, Carricknabauna, Greenwich Mews Theater, New York, 1967; Ruth, The Homecoming, Hudson Valley Repertory, 1968; Rosemary, How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying, Williamstown, MA, 1968;Agnes, Brand, Cubicle, New York, 1971; Jenny Diver, The Beggars' Opera, Chelsea Theatre Center, New York, 1972; Elizabeth Edwards, The Lincoln Mask, Plymouth, 1972; Constance Fletcher, The Mother of UsAll, Lenox Art Festival, 1972; Isabelle Rimbaud, Total Eclipse, Chelsea Theatre Center, New York, 1974; Penelope, Happy Birthday, Wanda June, Baltimore Center Stage, 1974; Sharon, Finian's Rainbow, PennState Festival Theatre, 1974; Lili Vanesi, Kiss Me, Kate, Penn StateFestival Theatre, 1974; Whore Mother, Gorky, American Place, New York,1975; Betty Dullfeet, Arturo Ui, Clarisse, When You Comin' Back, Red Ryder?, A Contemporary Theatre, Seattle, 1975; Abbie, Desire Under the Elms, A Contemporary Theatre, Seattle, 1976; Cyprienne, Let's Get a Divorce, Virginia Museum Theatre, 1978; Desiree, A Little Night Music, Penn State Festival Theatre, 1977; Agnes, The Fourposter, Repertory, 1978; Hadley Hemingway, Clothes for a Summer Hotel, Cort, New York, 1979; Widowed Mother, Don Juan Comes Back from the War, Manhattan Theatre Club, New York, 1979; Pirate Jenny, Threepenny Opera,Penn State Festival Theatre, 1979; Woman II, Side by Side by Sondheim,Virginia Museum Theatre, 1979; Anna Held, Tintypes, Cincinnati Playhouse, 1981, and Actors' Theatre of Louisville, 1982; Gladys, A Lesson from Aloes, Cincinnati Playhouse, 1982; Mrs. Saunders/Betty, Cloud Nine, Alley Theatre, Houston, TX, 1983; Vera, Pal Joey, Penn State Festival Theatre; Chelsea, On Golden Pond, Alaska Repertory; Louka, Arms and the Man, Loretto-Hilton Theatre, St. Louis, MO; The Dining Room, Huntington Theatre, Boston; Gogol, New York Shakespeare Festival; worked with Counterpoint Theatre, 1976-79.
- Grandma Tzeitel, Fiddler on the Roof, 1966; Sally Thomas, Signpost to Murder, 1970; Mrs. Malloy, Hello Dolly, 1972.
- Juno, Hercules in New York, 1969.
The Father; The Gardner.
- Iris Fonteyn, The Doctors.
- Lydia Wilton, Duty Bound; Lady Macbeth, Macbeth; Lady BirdJohnson, Kennedy.