Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
James D. Bissell to Marlon Brando
Colin Blakely Biography (1930-)
Born September 23, 1930, in Bangor, County Down, Northern Ireland; died of leukemia in London, May 7, 1987; son of Victor Charles and Dorothy Margaret Ashmore (Rodgers) Blakely; married Margaret Whiting (an actress and singer). Addresses: AGENT--Julian Belfrage Associates, 60 St. James St., London SW1, England.
- Birth Details
- September 23, 1930
- Bangor, Northern Ireland
- STAGE DEBUT--Dick McCardle, Master of the House, with the Ulster Group, Belfast, Ireland, 1958.
- LONDON DEBUT--Second rough fellow, Cock-a-Doodle-Dandy, with the EnglishStage Company at the Royal Court Theatre, 1959.
Credits; PRINCIPAL STAGE APPEARANCES
- Kevin McAlinden, The Bonfire, Lyceum Theatre, Edinburgh, U.K., 1958.
Credits; With the English Stage Company at the Royal Court Theatre, London
- A Pugnacious Collier, Serjeant Musgrave's Dance, Thomas Noon (alias Kelly), The Naming of Murderer's Rock, 1959, and repeating role in 1960.
- Phil Hogan, A Moon for the Misbegotten, Arts Theatre, London, 1960.
- Warren Baxter, Over the Bridge, Princes Theatre, London, 1960.
- Josh, Dreaming Bandsmen, Belgrade Theatre, Coventry, U.K., 1960.
- Lord Hastings, Richard III, Touchstone, As You Like It, and the Duke of Venice, Othello, all with the Royal Shakespeare Company, Stratford-on-Avon, U.K., 1961.
- Cox, Box and Cox, and Schmitz, The Fire-Raisers, both at the Royal CourtTheatre, London, 1961.
- Bottom, A Midsummer Night's Dream, Royal Court Theatre, London, 1962.
Credits; With the National Theatre Company at the Old Vic Theatre, London
- Fortinbras, Hamlet, Kite, The Recruiting Officer, Peider, Andorra, titlerole, Philoctetes, Pizarro, The Royal Hunt of the Sun (also produced at the Chichester Festival, U.K.), John Proctor, The Crucible, title role, Hobson's Choice, Sergeant, Mother Courage and Her Children, and Ben, Love for Love, all1963-65; Captain Jack Boyle, Juno and the Paycock, and Creon, Oedipus Rex, 1965-68.
- Astrov, Uncle Vanya, Royal Court Theatre, 1970.
- Deeley, Old Times, Royal Shakespeare Company, 1971.
- Titus Andronicus, Royal Shakespeare Company, 1972, and Aldwych Theatre, 1973.
- Torvald Helmer, A Doll's House, Criterion Theatre, London, 1973.
- Blakey, The Illumination of Mr. Shannon, Soho Poly Theatre, London, 1973.
- Casement, Cries from Casement, and General Muster, Section Nine, both Royal Shakespeare Company, The Place, London, 1973.
- Captain Shotover, Heartbreak House, National Theatre Company, Old Vic Theatre, London, 1975.
- Vukhov, Judgement, Institute of Contemporary Arts (ICA) and at the Old Vic Theatre, London, 1975.
- Martin Dysart, Equus, Albery Theatre, London, 1976.
- Dennis, Just between Ourselves, Queen's Theatre, London, 1977.
- Domenico Soriano, Filumena, Lyric Theatre, London, 1977.
- Title role, Semmelweiss, Eisenhower Theatre, Kennedy Center, Washington,D.C., 1978.
Credits; MAJOR TOURS
- With the National Theatre Company of Great Britain, toured Moscow and Berlin, 1965.
Credits; PRINCIPAL STAGE WORK
- Director, The Illumination of Mr. Shannon, Soho Poly Theatre, 1973.
Credits; PRINCIPAL FILM APPEARANCES
- Murder on the Orient Express, Paramount, 1974.
- Equus, Warner Brothers, 1977.
- Nijinsky, Paramount, 1980.
- Also, Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, 1960; Man Friday, 1976.
Credits; PRINCIPAL TELEVISION APPEARANCES; MOVIES
- When Silver Drinks, Son of Man, Donkey's Years.
Other articles you might like: