Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Ned Glass to Jane Greenwood
Johnny Green Biography (1908-)
Born October 10, 1908, in New York, NY; son of Vivian (a builder, developer,and banker) and Irma E. (Jellenik) Green; married Betty Furness, 1937 (divorced, 1943); married Bunny Waters (an actress), November 20, 1943; children: Barbara, Kathe, Kim. Addresses: OFFICE--903 N. Bedford Drive, Beverly Hills, CA 90210. AGENT--c/o Marvin Schofer, International Creative Management,40 W. 57th Street, New York, NY 10019.
- Birth Details
- October 10, 1908
- New York, New York, United States
Credits; PRINCIPAL FILM WORK
- Composer, conductor, and arranger for Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer from 1942-1949,on such films as Fiesta, 1947, Easter Parade, 1948, and The Inspector General, 1949.
- general music director and executive in charge of music with Metro- Goldwyn-Mayer for such films as An American in Paris, 1951; Royal Wedding, 1951; The Great Caruso, 1951; High Society, 1956.
- Also composed scores for Raintree Country, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, 1957; West Side Story, United Artists, 1961; Bye, Bye, Birdie, Columbia, 1963, Oliver!, 1968, They Shoot Horses, Don't They?, Cinerama, 1969, and The Strauss Fantasy.
Credits; PRINCIPAL STAGE WORK
- Guest Conductor with the Los Angeles Philharmonic, Hollywood Bowl, 1949-84.
- associate conductor, The Promenade Concerts.
- conductor and commentator, Symphonies for Youth, Los Angeles PhilharmonicOrchestra, 1959-61.
- principal pops conductor, San Francisco Symphony Orchestra, 1960- 61.
- Guest conductor since 1958 with Philadelphia Orchestra, Chicago Symphony,Boston Pops, Ravinia Festival, St. Louis Symphony, Atlanta Symphony, DenverSymphony Orchestra, National Symphony in Washington, DC, and the San Diego Symphony.
Credits; PRINCIPAL RADIO WORK
- Conductor, "Johnny Green, His Piano and Orchestra," 1933-40: The PackardHour with Fred Astaire.
- JELL-O Hour with Jack Benny.
- The Philip Morris Programs, 1938-40.
- St. Regis Roof.
- Socony Sketch Book with Christopher Morley.
- Fred Astaire.
- "Coquette," "I'm Yours," "Out of Nowhere," "I Wanna Be Loved," "You're Mine, You!" "I Cover the Waterfront," "Easy Come, Easy Go," "The Song of Raintree County," "Body and Soul."
- Poem for Orchestra, 1931.
- Nightclub, 1932.
- Music for Elizabeth, 1942.
- Fantacia Mexicana, 1945.
- Materia Medica, 1948.
- Raintree County, 1958, revised, 1966.
- Combo, 1967.
- Mine Eyes Have Seen, 1976.