Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Brian Patrick Clarke to Charlotte Cornwell
Patience Collier Biography (1910-1987)
Born Rene Ritcher, August 19, 1910, in London, England; died in London, July13, 1987; daughter of Paul and Eva (Spitzel) Ritcher; married H. O. J. Collier (a biologist); children: one son, two daughters.
- Birth Details
- August 19, 1910
- London, England
- Death Details
- July 13, 1987
- London, England
- STAGE DEBUT--Various roles, Versailles, Kingsway Theatre, London, 1932.
- BROADWAY DEBUT--Miss Gilchrist, The Hostage, Cort Theatre, 1960.
Credits; PRINCIPAL STAGE APPEARANCES
- Mrs. Blount, Well, Gentlemen, Cambridge Theatre, London, 1932.
- Italian peasant, Josephine, Haymarket Theatre, London, 1934.
- American wife, Roulette, Duke of York's Theatre, London, 1935.
- Madame Zaros, The Velvet Moss, Watergate Theatre, London, 1950.
- Charlotta, The Cherry Orchard, Lyric Hammersmith Theatre, London, 1954.
- Madame Parole, My Three Angels, Lyric Hammersmith Theatre, 1955.
- Maria, The Power and the Glory, Violet, The Family Reunion, both PhoenixTheatre, London, 1956.
- Anya Pavlikov, Nude with Violin, Globe Theatre, London, 1956.
- Living for Pleasure, Garrick Theatre, London, 1958.
- Putana, Tis Pity She's a Whore, Mermaid Theatre, London, 1961.
- Regan, King Lear, Theatre des Nations, Paris, France, 1963.
- Serena, The Judge, Cambridge Theatre, 1967.
- Bessie Berger, Awake and Sing, Hampstead Theatre Club, London, 1971.
- Sarah, The Old Ones, Royal Court Theatre, London, 1972.
- La Poncia, The House of Bernarda Alba, Greenwich Theatre, London, 1973.
- Anna, A Month in the Country, Chichester Festival, Chichester, U.K., 1974.
- Nurse Guiness, Heartbreak House, Old Vic Theatre, London, 1975.
- mother, Brand, Carlotta, The Cherry Orchard, both Olivier Theatre, London, 1978.
- With the Royal Shakespeare Company, Memorial Theatre, Stratford-on- Avon,U.K. and Aldwych Theatre, London: Charlotta, The Cherry Orchard, 1961.
- Natella Abashwili, The Caucasian Chalk Circle, Queen, Cymbeline, Regan, King Lear, Aemilia, The Comedy of Errors, all 1962.
- Frau Lina Rose, The Physicists, Regan, King Lear, Mrs. Diana Traipes, TheBeggar's Opera, all 1963.
- Duchess of York, Richard II, Mistress Quickly, Henry IV, Parts I and II,Alice, hostess, Henry V, all 1964.
- Lady Harriet Boscoe, The Governor's Lady, Alice, hostess, Henry V, Emma Takinainen, Squire Puntila and His Servant Matti, all 1965.
- Anna Andreyevna, The Government Inspector, Eugenia, Tango, Frau Nomsen, The Meteor, Gratiana, The Revenger's Tragedy, all 1966.
- Edna, A Delicate Balance, Dame Purecraft, Bartholomew Fair, Mrs.
- Heegan, The Silver Tassie, duchess, The Revenger's Tragedy, all 1969-70.
- nurse, All Over, 1972.
- Mrs. Dudgeon, The Devil's Disciple, Avdotya, Ivanov, both 1976.
Credits; MAJOR TOURS
- Swart Petry, The Sea Shell, U. K. cities, 1959.
Credits; PRINCIPAL FILM APPEARANCES
- House of Cards, Universal, 1969.
- Baby Love, AVCO-Embassy, 1969.
- Fiddler on the Roof, United Artists, 1971.
- Countess Dracula, Twentieth Century-Fox, 1972.
- The French Lieutenant's Woman, United Artists, 1981.
- Also appeared in Decline and Fall of a Bird Watcher, 1969; Every Home Should Have One (also known as Think Dirty), 1970; Endless Night, 1971; The National Health, 1972; Also Perfect Friday.
Credits; PRINCIPAL TELEVISION APPEARANCES
- Shoulder to Shoulder.
- Edward VII.
- Come Back Little Sheba.
- Who Paid the Ferry Man?.
- Love in a Cold Climate.
OBITUARIES AND OTHER SOURCES:
Other articles you might like: