Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Maurice Jarre to Lawrence N. Kasha
Raul Julia Biography (1940-1994)
Born March 9, 1940, in San Juan, Puerto Rico; died of complications from a stroke, October 24, 1994, in Manhasset, NY; son of Raul (a restaurateur) and Olga (Arcelay) Julia; married Mercel Poloway (a dancer), June 28, 1976; children: Raul Sigmund, Benjamin Rafael.
- Birth Details
- March 9, 1940
- San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Death Details
- October 24, 1994
- Manhasset, New York, United States
Credits; FILM APPEARANCES
- Panic in Needle Park, Twentieth Century-Fox, 1971.
- Franco, The Gumball Rally, Warner Bros., 1976.
- Michael Reisler, The Eyes of Laura Mars, Columbia, 1978.
- Kalibanos, Tempest, Columbia, 1982.
- Stu Quinones, The Escape Artist, Orion, 1982.
- Ray, One from the Heart, Columbia, 1982.
- Valentin, Kiss of the Spider Woman, Cinecom, 1985.
- David Suarez, Compromising Positions, Paramount, 1985.
- Joaquin Manero, The Morning After, Twentieth Century-Fox, 1986.
- The Poet, La Gran Fiesta, Zaga, 1987.
- Ricardo, Tango Bar, Beco-Zaga/Manley, 1988.
- Vinnie, Trading Hearts, Cineworld, 1988.
- Roberto Straussman, Moon over Parador, Universal, 1988.
- Ramon Guerola, The Penitent, New Century/Vista, 1988.
- Escalante, Tequila Sunrise, Warner Bros., 1988.
- Archbishop Oscar Arnulfo Romero, Romero, Four Seasons, 1989.
- MacHeath, Mack the Knife (also known as The Threepenny Opera), Menahem Golan/21st Century, 1989.
- Sandy Stern, Presumed Innocent, Warner Bros., 1990.
- Arturo Duran, Havana, Universal, 1990.
- Baron Frankenstein, Frankenstein Unbound, Concorde/Fox, 1990.
- Strom, The Rookie, Malpaso/Warner Bros., 1990.
- Gomez Addams, The Addams Family, Paramount, 1991.
- Gomez Addams, Addams Family Values, Paramount, 1993.
- M. Bison, Street Fighter, Universal, 1995.
- Made film debut in Stiletto, 1969. Appeared as Juan, Been Down So Long ItLooks Like Up to Me, 1971; Paulo, A Life of Sin, 1990; and Cottard, The Plague, 1992; appeared in The Organization, and Strong Medicine.
Credits; TELEVISION APPEARANCES; SERIES
- Americas (documentary), PBS, 1993.
- Also appeared as Raphael, Sesame Street, PBS; appeared on Love of Life.
Credits; TELEVISION APPEARANCES; PILOTS
- Father Nieves, McCloud: Who Killed Miss USA?, NBC, 1970.
- Raul, Aces Up, CBS, 1974.
- TELEVISION APPEARANCES; MINI-SERIES Title role, The Richest Man in the World: The Story of Aristotle Onassis, ABC, 1988.
Credits; TELEVISION APPEARANCES; MOVIES
- Carlos Jayne, Florida Straits, HBO, 1986.
- General Lopez de Santa Anna, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory, NBC, 1987.
- Also appeared in The Burning Season, 1994.
Credits; TELEVISION APPEARANCES; SPECIALS
- Detective Nick Rodriguez, Death Scream, ABC, 1975.
- "Overdrawn at the Memory Bank," American Playhouse, PBS, 1985.
- Count Galeazzo Ciano, Mussolini: The Untold Story, NBC, 1985.
- The Golden Eagle Awards, syndicated, 1987.
- The 45th Annual Tony Awards, CBS, 1991.
- All-Star Fiesta at Ford's, ABC, 1992.
- Narrator, The Monkey People (also known as We All Have Tales), Showtime,1992.
- The 65th Annual Academy Awards, ABC, 1993.
- Also appeared as Edmund, King Lear, 1974, and in The National Health.
Credits; STAGE APPEARANCES
- Conrad Birdie, Bye, Bye Birdie, Tapia Theatre, San Juan, Puerto Rico, 1963.
- The Four Poster, Tapia Theatre, 1963.
- Alfred, The Happy Time, Tapia Theatre, 1963.
- Title role, Macbeth, Tapia Theatre, 1963.
- Rodrigo, Othello, Tapia Theatre, 1963.
- (New York debut) Astolfo, La Vida Es Sueno, Astor Playhouse, New York City, 1964.
- Macduff, Macbeth, New York Shakespeare Festival, Delacorte Theatre, New York City, 1966.
- Luis, The Ox Cart, Greenwich Mews Theatre, New York City, 1966.
- Demetrius, Titus Andronicus, Delacorte Theatre, 1967.
- Cradeau, No Exit, Bouwerie Lane Theatre, New York City, 1967.
- A Clerk in the Memorandum, New York Shakespeare Festival, Public/Anspacher Theatre, New York City, 1968.
- The Hide and Seek Odyssey of Madelain Gimple, O'Neill Theatre Center, Waterford, CT, 1968.
- Orson, Your Own Thing, Orpheum Theatre, New York City, 1968.
- (Broadway debut) Chan, The Cuban Thing, Henry Miller's Theatre, New YorkCity, 1968.
- Workman, Paradise Gardens East, and Jesus, Conrico Was Here to Stay, Fortune Theatre, New York City, 1969.
- Grand Duke Alexis and Uncas, Indians, Arena Stage, Washington, DC, then Brooks Atkinson Theatre, New York City, 1969.
- Persian elder, The Persians, St. George's Church, New York City, 1970.
- Paco Montoya, The Castro Complex, Stairway Theatre, New York City, 1970.
- Consequently Joy, Pinkville, St. Clement's Church, New York City, 1971.
- Proteus, Two Gentleman of Verona, Delacorte Theatre, then St. James Theatre, New York City, 1971.
- Orsic, Hamlet, Delacorte Theatre, 1972.
- Gabriel Finn, Via Galactica, Uris (now Gershwin) Theatre, New York City,1972.
- Orlando, As You Like It, Delacorte Theatre, 1973.
- Edmund, King Lear, Delacorte Theatre, 1973.
- Commissioner, The Emperor of Late Night Radio, Other Stage Theatre, New York City, 1974.
- Jamie Lockhart, The Robber Bridegroom, St. Clement's Church, New York City, 1974.
- Charles Wykeham, Where's Charley?, Circle in the Square, New York City 1974.
- Mack the Knife, The Threepenny Opera, Vivian Beaumont Theatre, New York City, 1976.
- Lopaktin, The Cherry Orchard, Vivian Beaumont Theatre, 1977.
- Petruchio, The Taming of the Shrew, Delacorte Theatre, 1978.
- Title role, Dracula, Baltimore, 1978, then Martin Beck Theatre, New YorkCity, 1979.
- Title role, Othello, Delacorte Theatre, 1979.
- Betrayal, Trafalgar Theatre, New York City, 1980.
- Guido Contini, Nine, 46th Street Theatre, New York City, 1982.
- Design for Living, Circle in the Square, 1984.
- Sergius, Arms and the Man, Circle in the Square, 1985.
- Title role, Macbeth, Public/Anspacher Theatre, New York City, 1989.
- Also appeared as the suitor, The Marriage Proposal, 1966, and Conrad Birdie, Bye, Bye Birdie, Dallas, 1967; appeared in Illya, Darling, 1968, Man of La Mancha, Chicago, 1991, and City Way.
- Detroit Free Press, October 25, 1994, pp. 1-2A.
- Times (London), December 12, 1993, p. 5.
- New York, November 25, 1991, pp. 53-56.
Other articles you might like: