Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Maurice Jarre to Lawrence N. Kasha
Pauline Kael Biography (1919-2001)
Born June 19, 1919, in Petaluma, CA; daughter of Isaac Paul (a farmer) and Judith (Friedman) Kael; children: Gina James. Addresses: Home--Massachusetts. Contact--c/o NAL Dutton, 375 Hudson St., New York, NY 10014-3657.
- Birth Details
- June 19, 1919
- Petaluma, California, United States
- Death Details
- September 3, 2001
- Great Barrington, Massachusetts
Credits; Film Appearances
- Herself, Stelle Emigranti, 1983.
- Herself, Four from the New Yorker (documentary short), Aviva Films, 1988.
- Pauline Kael, Movie Critic, National Public Radio (Washington, DC), 1986.
- I Lost It at the Movies: Film Writings, 1954-1965, Atlantic Monthly Press, 1965.
- Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Atlantic Monthly Press, 1968.
- Going Steady: Film Writings, 1968-1969, Little, Brown (Boston, MA), 1970.
- "Raising Kane," The Citizen Kane Book, Limelight Editions, 1971.
- Deeper into Movies, Little, Brown, 1973.
- Reeling, Little, Brown, 1976.
- 5,001 Nights at the Movies, Holt (New York City), 1982.
- When the Lights Go Down, Owl Books, 1983.
- Taking It All In, W. Abrahams Books, 1984.
- State of the Art, W. Abrahams Books, 1985.
- Spitting Images, W. Abrahams Books, 1985.
- Pauline Kael on Jonathan Demme: A Selection of Reviews Accompanying the Retrospective Jonathan Demme, an American Director, Walker Art Center (Minneapolis, MN), 1988.
- Hooked, Dutton (New York City), 1989.
- Movie Love: Complete Reviews, 1988-1991, Dutton, 1991.
- For Keeps: 30 Years at the Movies (includes selections from Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, I Lost It at the Movies, Movie Love, Reeling, and "Raising Kane"), Dutton, 1994.
- Conversations with Pauline Kael, edited by Will Brantley, University Press of Mississippi (Jackson, MS), 1996.
- Contributor to periodicals, including Film Quarterly, Massachusetts Review, Sight and Sound, Modern Writing, Second Coming, Movie Goer, New York TimesBook Review, and other publications.
- Slattery, William J., Claire Dorton and Rosemary Enright, The Kael Index:A Guide to a Movie Critics Work, 1954-1991, Libraries Unlimited (Englewood,CO), 1993.
- Artforum, September, 1993.
- Book World, October 31, 1971.
- Commentary, April, 1995, p. 57.
- Interview, April, 1989.
- Modern Maturity, March/April, 1998.
- Newsweek, March 18, 1991.
- New Yorker, March 21, 1994, pp. 134-143.
- Village Voice, June 9, 1980.
- Washington Post Book World, January 26, 1992.
- Yale Review, April, 1993.
Other articles you might like: