Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Brigitte Nielsen to Bill Owen
Genevieve Oswald Biography (1923-)
Full name Genevieve Mary Oswald; born August 24, 1923, in Buffalo, NY; daughter of Charles T. (a traffic consultant) and Jeannette (Glenn) Oswald; marriedDean Johnson, December 7, 1949 (died); children: Anne Pemberton, Charles John Magette. Addresses: OFFICE--Dance Collection, New York Public Library, 111 Amsterdam Avenue, New York, NY 10023.
Oswald's diverse interests and activities, as expressed to CTFT, include organizing a program of Asian dance films in 1977 for the Association for Asia Studies, coordinating the International Dance Film and Videotape Conference onthe problems of the choreographer in 1981, and developing the dance film archive, which she conceived in 1961, for the New York Public Library's Dance Collection. She was the U.S. representative to Beijing, China, sponsored by theChinese Dancers Association, to lecture on the development of American danceand negotiate an exchange agreement in July, 1983.
- Birth Details
- August 24, 1923
- Buffalo, New York, United States
Credits; TELEVISION WORK
- Consultant, Dance in America, PBS, 1975-present.
Credits; DANCE EXHIBITIONS; PRODUCER
- French Court and Opera Ballet, 1948.
- British Ballet, 1949.
- Ted Shawn, American Dance, 1950.
- Fanny Elsler, 1951.
- The Magic of Anna Pavlova, 1956.
- The Cia Fornaroli Collection, 1957.
- Marius Petipa, 1958.
- The New York City Ballet, 1959.
- Stravinsky and the Dance, 1962.
- Galina Ulanova, 1962.
- Images of the Dance, 1967, all at the New York Public Library.
- Dance editor, Crowell-Collier Encyclopedia; contributor, Dance Encyclopedia; contributor, Enciclopedia della Settacolo.
- Journal of the American Musicological Society, Library Journal, Special Libraries, The New York Times, Dance News, Dance Magazine, Ballet Annual (London).
- Editor, Dance Bibliography, Smithsonian Institute.
- co-editor, Bibliography of Projected Theses and Project Titles for Dance,American Association for Health, Physical Education and Recreation, 1972.
- project director, Dictionary Catalog of the Dance Collection (ten volumes), 1974 and its supplements, Bibliographic Guide to Dance, 1975-82.
- associate editor, Research in the Humanities, 1977.
- SPEECHES,PUBLISHED Creating Tangible Records for an Intangible Art, Special Library Association, 1967.
- Archive of the Dance: Creating a Resource of Audio-Visual Documentation on the Art of Dance, Tenth International Congress of Museums and Libraries ofthe Performing Arts, Brussels, Belgium, 1972.
- panelist, Oral History Colloquy, Eastern Communication Association, Statler Hilton, NY, 1975.
- Adventures in the Development of the South East Asian Collection, fifth CORD Conference, Philadelphia, PA, 1976.
- Myth and Legend in the Works of Martha Graham: Night Journey, American Dance Guild/Committee on Research in Dance Conference, Hawaii, 1978.
- The Legend of Bronislava Nijinska (video program), 1983.
Other articles you might like: