Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Marla Singer to Rod Steiger
Hans Sotin Biography (1939-)
Born September 10, 1939, in Dortmund, Germany; married Regina Elsner, 1964; children: three. Addresses: Home--Germany. Contact--c/o Lies Askonas Ltd., 186 Drury Lane, London WC2B 5QD, England.
- Birth Details
- September 10, 1939
- Dortmund, Germany
Credits; Stage Appearances
- (Debut) Der Rosenkavalier, Essen Opera House, Essen, Germany, 1962.
- Sarastro, Die Zauberfloete, Glyndebourne Festival, 1970.
- Sarastro, Die Zauberfloete, New York Metropolitan Opera, New York City, 1972.
- Hunding and Wotan, Die Walkuere, New York Metropolitan Opera, 1972.
- Baron Ochs, Der Rosenkavalier, La Scala, Milan, 1976.
- Wagner: Parsifal, Radio City Music Hall, New York City, 1987.
- Wagner: Siegfried, Metropolitan Opera House, New York City, 1988.
- Wagner: Das Rheingold, Metropolitan Opera House, 1988.
- Wagner: Der Ring des Nibelungen, Metropolitan Opera House, 1989.
- Wagner: Parsifal, Festspielhaus, Bayreuth, Germany, 1989.
- Beethoven: Fidelio, Grand Theatre, Hong Kong, 1990.
- Weber: Der Freischutz, Carnegie Hall, New York City, 1991.
- Rocco, Fidelio, New York Metropolitan Opera, 1993.
- Wagner: Die Walkuere, Metropolitan Opera House, 1994.
- Also appeared as Landgrave, Pogner, Titurel, and Gurnemanz, in the Bayreuth Festival; as Hunding, Covent Garden, 1974; in Wagner: Tannhaeuser, produced in Hamburg, Germany, 1990; Wagner: Der Fleigende Hollander, produced in Bayreuth, Germany, 1991; Wagner: Tannhaeuser, produced in Berlin, Germany, 1992;and Elektra, produced in Taormina, Italy, 1992. Has appeared in world premieres of operas by Penderecki, Klebe, Blacher, Von Einem, and Kelemen.
- Has also appeared as bass soloist in the concert performance of Beethoven's Choral Symphony, United Nations, 1970; concert singer, often in pieces byBach.
Credits; Film Appearances
- Hermit, Der Freischutz, Polytel, 1970.
- Don Fernando, Fidelio, Polyphon, 1970.
Credits; Television Appearances
- Bass soloist, "Bernstein Conducts Haydn's Mass in Time of War," Great Performances (special), PBS, 1986.
- Also appeared as Hermann, Landgrave of Thuringia, Tannhaeuser (special),1980.
- Bass soloist, Die Meistersinger von Nuernberg, Philips, 1975.
- Bass soloist, Haydn's The Seasons (also known as Die Jahreszeiten), recorded at Kingsway Hall, London, 1977; published, 1978.
- Bass soloist, Tristan und Isolde, Philips, 1983.
- Bass soloist, Haydn's Mass in C Major (also known as Paukenmesse), Philips, 1985.
- Bass soloist, Mahler's 8th Symphony (also known as Symphony of a Thousand), EMI, 1987.
- Bass soloist, Parsifal, Philips, 1987.
- Also appeared in recordings of Lohengrin, 1988; Die Zauberfloete, Decca;Tannhaeuser, Decca; Aida, Decca; Fidelio, Decca; Salome, Deutsche Grammophon;Doktor Faust, Deutsche Grammophon; Der Wildschuetz, Deutsche Grammophon; Cosi fan Tutte, HMV; Die Walkuere, HMV; St. Matthew Passion, HMV; Beethoven's Christ at the Mount of Olives, HMV; and The Devils of Loudun, Philips.
Other articles you might like: