Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Jack Dabdoub to Anthony John Denison
John Charles Daly Biography (1914-1991)
Born February 20, 1914, in Johannesburg, South Africa; immigrated to the United States, 1923; died of cardiac arrest, February 25, 1991, in Chevy Chase, MD; son of John Charles (a geologist and mining engineer) and Helene Grant (Tennant) Daly; married Margaret Criswell Neal, January 7, 1937 (divorced); married Virginia Warren, December 22, 1960; children: (first marriage) John Neal,John Charles III, Helene Grant Daly Fitzgerald; (second marriage) John Warren, John Earl Jameson, Nina Elisabeth Abath Taylor.
- Birth Details
- February 20, 1914
- Johannesburg, South Africa
- Death Details
- February 25, 1991
- Chevy Chase, Maryland, United States
Credits; TELEVISION APPEARANCES; SERIES
- Panelist, Celebrity Time (also known as Celebrity Quiz), ABC, 1949- 50.
- Walter Burns, Front Page, CBS, 1949-50.
- Anchor, CBS Weekend News, CBS, 1950.
- Wordmaster, We Take Your Word, CBS, 1950-51.
- Moderator, What's My Line?, CBS, 1950-67.
- Moderator, It's News to Me, CBS, 1951-53.
- America's Town Meeting, ABC, 1952.
- Anchor, ABC Evening News, ABC, 1953-60.
- Host and moderator, Open Hearing, ABC, 1954.
- Master of ceremonies, Who Said That?, ABC, 1955.
- Narrator, The Voice of Firestone, ABC, 1958-59.
- John Daly and the News, ABC, 1958-59.
- Correspondent, Modern Maturity, PBS, 1984-89.
- Also appeared on March of Time through the Years and News of the Week.
Credits; TELEVISION APPEARANCES; SPECIALS
- Moderator of National Town Meeting, 1974.
Credits; RADIO APPEARANCES; SERIES
- Narrator, Report to the Nation (also see below), CBS, 1940-42, 1946.
- Announcer, Spirit of '41, CBS, 1941.
- Announcer, Spirit of '42, CBS, 1942.
- World Today, CBS, 1944-46.
- CBS Is There, CBS, 1948.
- Correspondent, National Town Meeting, National Public Radio, 1984-89.
- Narrator of Transatlantic Call, BBC.
Credits; RADIO WORK; SERIES
- Assistant producer and director, Report to the Nation, CBS, 1940-42, 1946.
Credits; STAGE APPEARANCES
- Guest narrator, A Tribute to Rosalind Russell, Ford's Theatre Society, Washington, DC, 1974-75.
- Contributor to magazines.
- New York Times, February 27, 1991.
- Time, March 11, 1991, p. 69.
Other articles you might like: