Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Wes Anderson to Sarah Badel
Herman O. Arbeit Biography (1925-)
Born April 19, 1925; son of Max (a candystore keeper, packer, and sewing machine operator) and Katie (Zweibel) Arbeit; married Sylvia Newfeld (a receptionist), February 16, 1958; children: Barbara Rachel. Addresses: Contact--c/o 14055 34th Ave., Apt. 1B, Flushing, NY 11354-3029.
Herman O. Arbeit earlier told CTFT: "In addition to learning and growing in acraft, acting proved to be enormous personal therapy, not only giving me insights to personal problems but challenging me to take the strength garnered onstage and incorporate it into my daily life."
Credits; Stage Appearances
- (Debut) Doc, Come Back, Little Sheba, Playrads Drama Group, City Collegeof New York, 1952.
- Tarleton, Misalliance, Cragsmoor, NY, 1954.
- Kendall, Little Scandal, Cragsmoor, NY, 1954.
- (New York debut) Reverend, Climate of Eden, Actors Playhouse, New York, NY, 1955.
- Doctor, Boy Meets Girl, Equity Library, NY, 1955.
- Lawyer, A Dream Play, Minor Latham, NY, 1957.
- Paravicini, The Mouse Trap, Rockland County Playhouse, NY, 1959.
- Papa, The Happy Time, Rockland County Playhouse, NY, 1959.
- Sheriff Talbott, Orpheus Descending, Rockland County Playhouse, NY, 1959.
- Uncle Max, A Hole in the Head, Rockland County Playhouse, NY, 1959.
- Barney, Summer of the Seventeenth Doll, Rockland County Playhouse, NY, 1959.
- Bellhop, The Girls in 509, Rockland County Playhouse, NY, 1959.
- Otto Frank, Diary of Anne Frank, Rockland County Playhouse, NY, 1959.
- Noah, The Flowering Peach, Rockland County Playhouse, NY, 1959.
- Walter, Time Remembered, Woodstock Playhouse, NY, 1960.
- Milgrim, The Disenchanted, Woodstock Playhouse, NY, 1960.
- Rabbi David and Aaron, The World of Sholom Aleichem, Woodstock Playhouse,NY, 1960.
- Gant, Look Homeward, Angel, Woodstock Playhouse, NY, 1960.
- Hunk, Dead End, Equity Library, NY, 1960.
- Professor, The Lesson, Center Stage, Baltimore, MD, 1963.
- Brabantio, Othello, Corning Summer Theatre, NY, 1963.
- Dodds, Calculated Risk, Corning Summer Theatre, NY, 1963.
- Sidney Black, Light Up the Sky, Center Stage, Baltimore, MD, 1963- 64.
- Chausable, The Importance of Being Earnest, Center Stage, Baltimore, MD,1963-64.
- Senator, The Respectful Prostitute, Center Stage, Baltimore, MD, 1963-64.
- Bert, The Room, Center Stage, Baltimore, MD, 1963-64.
- Alonzo, The Tempest, Washington Theatre Club, Washington, DC, 1965.
- Title role, The Prisoner, Erie Civic Theatre Association, Erie, PA, 1967.
- Peter Stockmann, An Enemy of the People, Equity Library, NY, 1968.
- Sgt. Carlino, Wait Until Dark, Corning Summer Theatre, NY, 1968.
- Gilbert, Everything in the Garden, Corning Summer Theatre, NY, 1968.
- The Merchant, The Exception and the Rule, Assembly, NY, 1970.
- Duncan, porter, and Hecate, Macbeth, North Shore Music Theatre, Beverly,MA, 1972.
- Harry Brock, Born Yesterday, Firehouse Dinner Theatre, Omaha, NE, 1973.
- Uncle Murray, Moonchildren, Charles St. Playhouse, Boston, MA, 1974.
- Reb Alter, Yentl, Chelsea, NY, 1974-75.
- Yekel, God of Vengeance, Masterworks Laboratory, Brooklyn, NY, 1975.
- Reb Alter, Yentl, Eugene O'Neill, NY, 1975-76.
- Wiseman, Cohn, and understudy Abe, Knock Knock, Biltmore, NY, l976.
- Dankel, Marathon '33, Lion, NY, 1976.
- Abe, Knock Knock, Center Stage, Baltimore, MD, 1977.
- Oscar Wolfe, The Royal Family, Seattle Repertory, Seattle, WA, 1977-78.
- Loach, The National Health, Seattle Repertory, Seattle, WA, 1977- 78.
- Uncle Morty, Awake and Sing, Playwrights Horizons, NY, 1978.
- Harry Edison, The Prisoner of Second Avenue, Playwrights Horizons, NY, 1978.
- Dodge, Buried Child, GeVa, Rochester, NY, 1979.
- Uncle David, Me and Molly, Jewish Repertory, NY, 1980.
- Soloway, The Goodbye People, PAF, NY, 1981.
- Dr. Edward Peller, In the Matter of J. Robert Oppenheimer, American Jewish Theatre, NY, 1981.
- Ranger Three, Who Killed Johnny Granger, Columbia University, NY, 1982.
- Zog, The Seventh Day, Quaigh, NY, 1983.
- Max Glass, Taking Steam, Jewish Repertory, NY, 1983.
- Judge, Christopher Blake, Quaigh, NY, 1983.
- Harpagon, The Miser, University of Maryland, College Park, MD, 1983.
- Cymberline, Globe Playhouse, Los Angeles, CA, 1986-87.
- Understudy Ben/Jack, Broadway Bound, St. Paul's Ordway Music Theatre, 1988, then Providence Performing Arts Center, 1989.
- Mordechai Weiss, A Shayna Maidel, Delaware Theatre Company, Wilmington, DE, 1990-91.
- Sam, Black Forest, Vineyard Theatre/26th Street, New York, NY, 1994.
- Participated in a public reading of two unproduced Tennessee Williams' plays, Kathryn Bache Miller Theatre, 1995.
- Bellamy, The Fantasticks, Bermudiana Hotel, Bahamas, 1964.
- Mayor, Never Too Late, summer tour, Barnesville, PA, then Detroit, MI, 1965.
- Doc, West Side Story, Beverly, Cohasset, and Hyannis, MA, 1968.
- Understudy Gregory Solomon, The Price, U.S. cities, 1969-70.
- Willy Loman, Death of a Salesman, National Theatre Company, 1970- 71.
- Murray, The Odd Couple, Chateau de Ville Dinner Theatre productions tour,MA and CT, 1973-74.
- Professor Lyman, Bus Stop, ACT tour, KY and IL, 1981.
Credits; Television Appearances; Episodic
- (Debut) Waiter, Concerning Miss Marlowe, NBC, 1954.
- Juror, Another World, NBC, 1965.
- Superintendent, Edge of Night, ABC, 1981.
- Police Sergeant, As the World Turns, CBS, 1982.
- Desk Sergeant, The Guiding Light, CBS, 1983.
Credits; Other Television Appearances
- Scott Candless, It's My Body, It's My Life (special), WCVB, Boston, 1974.
- Harry Fine, Law & Order (episodic), NBC, 1991.
Credits; Film Appearances
- (Debut) Detective, Cop Haters, 1964.
- Desk Clerk, Headin' for Broadway, 1980.
Other articles you might like: