Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Ned Glass to Jane Greenwood
Janusz Glowacki Biography (1938-)
Surname is pronounced Gwo-vat-ski; born Janusz Andrzej Glowacki, September 13, 1938, in Poznan, Poland; son of Jerzy (a writer) and Helena (a literary editor; maiden name, Rudzka) Glowacki; married Ewa Zadrzynska (a writer), June 8, 1984; children: Zuza. Addresses: Agent--Bridget Ashenberg, International Creative Management, 40 West 57th St., New York, NY 10019. Contact--Writers Guild of America East, Inc., 555 West 57th St., New York, NY 10019.
- Birth Details
- September 13, 1938
- Poznan, Poland
- Cudzolostwo ukrane (two-act; title means "Punished Adultery"), first produced at STS Theatre, Warsaw, 1966.
- Mecz (title means "Match"), first produced at Powszechny Theatre, Warsaw,1976.
- Obciach (title means "Chop"), first produced at Theatre Rzeszow, Rzeszow,Poland, 1978.
- Kopciuch (two-act), first produced in Warsaw at Powszechny Theatre, 1981,translation by Christina Paul produced as Cinders, Royal Court Theatre, London, 1981, later produced at Public Theatre, New York City, 1984, published bySamuel French, 1985.
- Podroz do Gdanska (one-act), translation by Halina Filipowicz and RobertFindlay first produced as Journey to Gdansk, Westside Mainstage Theatre, NewYork City, 1982.
- Retro (one-act), translation by Halina Filipowicz and Robert Findlay first produced as Flashback, Westside Mainstage Theatre, 1982.
- Herbatka z mleczkiem (one-act), translation by Halina Filipowicz and Robert Findlay first produced as Tea with Milk, Westside Mainstage Theatre, 1982.
- Fortinbras sie upil (two-act), translation by Konrad Brodzinski and Jadwiga Kosicka first produced as Fortinbras Gets Drunk, Fountainhead Theatre Group, Los Angeles, CA, 1993.
- Hunting Cockroaches, Manhattan Theatre Club, New York City, 1987, published by Samuel French, 1988.
- (With others) Urban Blight, City Center Stage I, New York City, 1988.
- Antigone in New York, Arena Stage, Washington, DC, 1993.
- Polowanie na muchy (title means "Hunting Flies"), Film Polski, 1970.
- Psychodrama, Film Polski, 1970.
- Rejs (title means "Cruise"), Film Polski, 1972.
- Trzeba zabic te milosc (title means "Kill that Love"), Film Polski, 1974.
- Moc truchleje, Puls (Warsaw), 1981, translation by Konrad Brodzinski published as Give Us This Day, Andre Deutsch (London), 1983, St. Martin's Press (New York City), 1985.
Writings; Short Stories
- Wirowka nonsensu (title means "Centrifuge of Nonsense"), Panstwowy Instytut Wydawniczy (Warsaw), 1968, 2nd edition, 1969.
- Nowy taniec La-ba-da (title means "New Dance La-ba-da"), Panstwowy Instytut Wydawniczy (Warsaw), 1970.
- W nocy gorzej widac (title means "One Sees Worse at Night"), Czytelnik (Warsaw), 1972.
- Paradis, Panstwowy Instytut Wydawniczy (Warsaw), 1973.
- Polowanie na muchy: i inne opowiadania (title means "Hunting Flies and Other Stories"), Panstwowy Instytut Wydawniczy (Warsaw), 1974.
- Powrot hrabiego Monte Christo (title means "The Return of Count Monte Christo"), Czytelnik (Warsaw), 1975.
- My Sweet Raskolnikow (title in translation), Panstwowy Instytut Wydawniczy (Warsaw), 1977, 2nd edition, 1978.
- Opowiadania wybrane (title means "Selected Stories"; includes Wirowka nonsensu, Nowy taniec La-ba-da, Polowanie na muchy, and My Sweet Raskolnikow), Panstwowy Instytut Wydawniczy, 1978.
Writings; Other Writings
- Hunting Cockroaches and Other Plays (includes Cinders, Hunting Cockroaches, and Fortinbras Gets Drunk), Northwestern University Press, 1990.
- Author of radio dramas broadcast in Poland, West Germany, Belgium and Sweden. Work represented in anthologies published in Austria, Greece, Holland, West Germany, Sweden, Norway, Hungary and Yugoslavia. Contributor of short fiction, plays, screenplays, and essays to numerous journals, including Modern Drama, Performing Arts, TriQuarterly, New York Times, and publications in Poland, Sweden, France, Holland, West Germany, Norway, Japan and China.
Other articles you might like: