Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
James Newton Howard to Kevin Jarre
Tina Howe Biography (1937-)
Born November 21, 1937, in New York, NY; daughter of Quincy (a broadcaster and writer) and Mary (an artist; maiden name, Post) Howe; married Norman L. Levy (a professor), August 31, 1961; children: Eben, Dara. Addresses: Agent--c/o Flora Roberts, Inc., 157 West 57th St., New York, NY 10019.
- Birth Details
- November 21, 1937
- New York, New York, United States
- The Nest, produced at Act IV Theatre, Provincetown, MA, 1969, then Mercury Theatre, New York City, 1970.
- Museum, produced at Los Angeles Actors Theatre, Los Angeles, CA, 1976, then New York Shakespeare Festival (NYSF), Public Theatre, New York City, 1977,published by Samuel French, 1979.
- The Art of Dining, produced by NYSF, Public Theatre, 1979, then Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts, Washington, DC, 1980, published by Samuel French, 1980.
- Appearances (one-act), produced at Ensemble Studio Theatre, New York City, 1982.
- Painting Churches, produced at Second Stage, then Lamb's Theatre, both New York City, 1983, published by Samuel French, 1984.
- Coastal Disturbances, produced at Second Stage, 1986, then Circle in theSquare, New York City, 1987, published by Samuel French, 1987.
- Approaching Zanzibar, produced at Second Stage, 1989, published by SamuelFrench, 1989.
- Coastal Disturbances: Four Plays by Tina Howe (contains Museum, The Art of Dining, Painting Churches, and Coastal Disturbances), published by TheatreCommunications Group, 1989.
- Teeth, The Best American Short Plays, 1990, Applause Books, 1990.
- One Shoe Off, produced by Second Stage at Joseph Papp Public Theater, NewYork City, published by Samuel French, 1993.
- Birth and after Birth, produced by The Wilma Theater, 1995, published inWomen on the Verge: Seven Avant Garde Plays, edited by Rosette Lamont, Applause Books, 1993.
- Approaching Zanzibar and Other Plays (contains Approaching Zanzibar, Birth and after Birth and One Shoe Off), published by Theatre Communications Group, 1995.
Writings; Television Specials
- Wrote the television movie adaptation of Painting Churches, 1986.
Writings; Other Writings
- Swimming (play), photographs by Tina Barney, American Journals series, Whitney Museum of Art, spring, 1991.
- Adaptations: Painting Churches was adapted for television and broadcast on TNT as The Portrait, 1993.
- Gaetani, John L., A Search for a Postmodern Theater (interviews with contemporary playwrights), Greenwood Press, 1991.
- Morrow, Lee Alan, and Frank Pike, Creating Theater, Vintage Books, 1986.
- American Theatre, September, 1985.
- Dramatists Guild Quarterly, winter, 1988; summer, 1994.
- Modern Drama, March, 1993.
- New York, November 28, 1983; December 22-29, 1986.
- New York Times, May 1, 1983; November 16, 1986; April 30, 1989; May 7, 1989.
- Theatre Week, June 12, 1989; May 3, 1993.
- Vogue, February, 1993, p. 106.