Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Jim Carter to Tom Clark
Madelyn Cates Biography ((?)-)
Born Madelyn Fagan, March 9, in New York, NY; daughter of Ben (a teacher anddirector) and Dorothy (Smith) Fagan; married Lou Kates (an engineer), March,1948 (died, January, 1988); children: Mallory June, Kathryn Jane, Joshua Nathan. Addresses: AGENTS--Starkman Agency Inc., 1501 Broadway, New York,NY 10036; Jacobson-Wilder-Kesten, 419 Park Avenue S., New York, NY 10016; Sutton, Barth, and Vennari Inc., 8322 Beverly Boulevard, Suite 202, Los Angeles,CA 90048; Twentieth Century Artists, 3800 Barham Boulevard, Suite 303, Los Angeles, CA 90068.
- Birth Details
- March 9,
- New York, New York, United States
Credits; STAGE APPEARANCES
- STAGE DEBUT--Adelaide, Guys and Dolls, Winter Park, FL, 1956, for sixteenperformances.
- OFF-BROADWAY DEBUT--Potopovna, Sunset, 81st Street Theatre, 1966.
- BROADWAY DEBUT--Patient, The Persecution and Assassination of Jean- PaulMarat as Performed by the Inmates of the Asylum of Charenton Under the Direction of the Marquis de Sade (also known as Marat/Sade), Majestic Theatre, 1967.
- Bertha, The Kitchen, 81st Street Theatre, New York City, 1966.
- ensemble, The Fourth Wall (revue), Theatre East, New York City, 1968.
- Mabel Lamston, Lemonade, Jan Hus Playhouse, New York City, 1968.
- Anna, A Patriot for Me, Imperial Theatre, New York City, 1969.
- Connie, Snowangel, Actors Studio, then Circle Theatre Workshop, both NewYork City, 1972.
- Jeanette Fisher, Last of the Red Hot Lovers, Elysian Playhouse, New YorkCity, 1975.
- Maquerelle, The Malcontent, Classic Theatre, Loretto Theatre, New York City, 1977.
- Also appeared in Follies, Studio Theatre Playhouse, Hollywood, CA, 1981;as Sadie, Coping, Cherry Lane Theatre, New York City; Helen, In the Boom BoomRoom, Cubiculo Theatre, New York City; Soft Wonder, Ecclesiazusae, Cooper Union Theatre, New York City; Betty, Winkelberg, Theatre West, Hollywood; SallyMarr, Lenny, Charles Playhouse, Boston, MA; Connie, A Matter of Perspective,Theatre Exchange, North Hollywood, CA; Stella Deems, Follies, Mrs. Paddy, The Curious Savage, Mildred Harmon, Stormless Vows, Sally Marr, Lenny, and ensemble, Side By Side By Sondheim (revue), all the Colony, Los Angeles.
Credits; FILM APPEARANCES
- FILM DEBUT--Concierge, The Producers, Embassy, 1967.
- Agnes, A New Leaf, Paramount, 1969.
- Sylvia, The Heartbreak Kid, Twentieth Century-Fox, 1972.
- Mrs. Trent, The Devil and Max Devlin, Buena Vista, 1981.
- Dr. Helen Schneider, Jekyll and Hyde ... Together Again, Paramount, 1982.
Credits; TELEVISION APPEARANCES; PILOTS
- Mrs. Gaskin, The Flamingo Kid, ABC, 1989.
- Flo, Struck by Lightning, CBS, 1979.
- Evelyn Petschek, St. Elsewhere, NBC, 1982.
- Ruthie Cook, Night Court, NBC, 1987.
- Also thirtysomething, ABC, 1989; Betty, Archie Bunker's Place,CBS; FloraLaRue, Hill Street Blues, NBC; Bella Noodleman-Chang, Hooperman, ABC; Mabel,The Law and Harry McGraw, CBS; Mrs. Dunne, The Associates, ABC; Mrs. Pfeiffer, Soap, ABC; landlady, Hunter,NBC; pickpocket, Cagney and Lacey, CBS; Mrs. Landowska, Fame.
- TELEVISION DEBUT--Mary, The Resurrection, CBS, 1965.
- Zelda, Found Money, NBC, 1983.
Other articles you might like: