Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Klaus Badelt to Christophe Beck
Paul Ballantyne Biography (1909-)
Born July 18, 1909, in Moorhead, IA; son of James Carl and Inez Mae (Adams) Ballantyne. Addresses: HOME--1912 Dupont Avenue South, Minneapolis, MN55403.
Favorite roles: Vanya, General St. Pe, Galy Gay.
- Birth Details
- July 18, 1909
- Moorhead, Iowa, United States
- NEW YORK DEBUT--Eight of Hearts, Alice in Wonderland, 1932.
Credits; PRINCIPAL STAGE APPEARANCES
- Fred, Talent, Cape Playhouse, Dennis, MA, 1934.
- Captain Jack Absolute, The Rivals, title role, Everyman, Young Marlowe, She Stoops to Conquer, all with WPA's Federal Theatre Project, 1935-37.
- Heinrich Wertheimer, Mrs. O'Brien Entertains, and Johann, Brown Danube, both at Lyceum Theatre, NY, 1939.
- Student, The Unconquered, and Kurt, Goodbye in the Night, both at Biltmore Theatre, NY, 1940.
- Charles Owen, Suzanna and the Elders, Morosco Theatre, NY, 1940.
- Brutus, Julius Caesar, Ferrovius, Androcles and the Lion, Frank, The Little Blue Light, Reverend Davidson, Rain, Northumberland, Henry IV, Part 2, Tchebutykin, The Three Sisters, the Burglar, Heartbreak House, Costard, Love's Labour's Lost, Cleante, Tartuffe, all at the Brattle Theatre, Cambridge, MA, 1950-51.
- William Clark, S.J., The Strong Are Lonely, Broadhurst Theatre, NY, 1953.
- Brackenbury, Richard III, City Center Theatre, NY, 1953.
- At the Guthrie Theatre, Minnesota Theatre Company, MN: Marcellus, Hamlet,La Fleche, The Miser, Charley, The Death of a Salesman, all 1963.
- Williams, Henry V, de Stogumber, Saint Joan, first avocatore, Volpone, both 1964.
- The Way of the World, Richard III, The Cherry Orchard, The Caucasian Chalk Circle, all 1965.
- The Dance of Death, As You Like It, SS Glencairn, all 1966.
- House of Atreus, Shoemaker's Holiday, Thieves' Carnival, Harper's Ferry,She Stoops to Conquer, Tango, Man with a Flower in His Mouth, all 1967.
- Twelfth Night, Serjeant Musgrave's Dance, The Resistible Rise of Arturo Ui, The Houe of Atreus, all 1968.
- Chorus leader, The House of Atreus, and Hindborough, The Resistible Riseof Arturo Ui, both with the Minnesota Theatre Company at the Billy Rose Theatre, NY, 1968.
- At the Guthrie: The Beauty Part, title role, Uncle Vanya, General St. Pe,Ardele, all 1969; The Venetian Twins, The Tempest, Galy Gay, in A Man's a Man, and A Play by Alexander Solzhenitsyn, all 1970.
- Murderous Angels, Mark Taper Forum, Los Angeles, CA, 1970; Crysalde, School for Wives, Lyceum Theatre, NY, 1971.
- At the Guthrie: Misalliance, 1971-72; Candy, Of Mice and Men, 1972; The Government Inspector, 1973; Gloucester, King Lear, Deputy Governor Danforth, The Crucible, all 1974.
- Andre Wyke, Sleuth, and Arvide Abnerathy, Guys and Dolls, both at the Chanhassen Theatre, Minneapolis, 1975.
- Nat Miller, Ah, Wilderness!, and Captain Andy, Showboat, both at the Chanhassen, 1976.
- At the Guthrie: Count in La Ronde, and Diggory in She Stoops to Conquer,both 1977.
- Al Lewis, The Sunshine Boys, Merlin, Camelot, Starkeeper, Carousel, all at the Chanhassen, 1979-80.
- Serebriakov, Uncle Vanya, Arizona Theatre Company, 1983.
- Andie, And a Nightingale Sang..., Arizona Theatre Company, 1984.
Credits; MAJOR TOURS
- Dark Tower, Cape Playhouse, Dennis, MA, 1934.
- Bing, Brother Rat, U.S. cities, 1937-38.
- Kurt, Biography, U.S. cities, 1940.
- de Baudricourt, Saint Joan, U.S. cities, 1954.
- Fred Bailey, The Skin of Our Teeth, European cities for U.S. State Department, 1961.
- Earl of Shrewsbury, Mary Stuart, and Sir Walter Raleigh, Elizabeth the Queen, both with National Repertory Theatre, U.S. cities, 1961- 62.
Credits; PRINCIPAL FILM APPEARANCES
- Lt. Smith (a movie made for soldiers during World War II), RKO.
- The Andromeda Strain, Universal, 1971.
- TELEVISION DEBUT--Family Honor, NBC, 1939.
Credits; PRINCIPAL TELEVISION APPEARANCES
- Hallmark Hall of Fame.
- You Are There.
- The Play of the Week.
Other articles you might like: