Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Willie Aames to Steven Anderson
Nancy Allison Biography (1954-)
Born Nancy Alison Cohen, February 28, 1954, in Baltimore, MD; daughter of Philip Kader (a civil servant) and Florence Joan (a secretary; maiden name, Dowinsky) Cohen; married Robert E. Mahaffay, August 12, 1982 (divorced, 1986). Addresses: OFFICE--325 E. 21st Street, Apt. 22, New York, NY 10010.
Nancy Allison told CTFT, "I got started dancing because my sister had weak ankles and the doctor told my mother to send her to dancing school. My mother took us both and I've been dancing ever since."
- Birth Details
- February 28, 1954
- Baltimore, Maryland, United States
- STAGE DEBUT--Dancer, Ballet School, in a Bolshoi Ballet production, Baltimore Civic Center, 1963, for four performances.
Credits; PRINCIPAL STAGE WORK
- Dancer, The Tamed Hunter, Theatre of the Open Eye, New York City, 1976.
- dancer and choreographer, The Cobra and the Crows, Theatre of the Open Eye, New York City, 1976.
- Raven's Dance, 1976 and Isle of the Seal, 1977, both at the Theatre of the Open Eye, New York City.
- Demeter's Daughters, St. Michel Theatre, Orge, France, 1979.
- Images of Vinalhaven, Vinalhaven, ME, 1980.
- Duet for Flute and Dancer, Fairfield County Flute Festival, Stamford, CT,1980.
- In the Eye of the Whale Swims the Sea, American Museum of Natural History, New York City, 1982.
- Rafting, an Oregon Journey, Artquake, Portland, OR, 1983.
- Marsyus, an Attic Resurrection, Theatre for the New City, New York City,1985.
- Fiddlemania, Ballet Oregon, 1985.
- Faces of the Great Goddess, Herodes Atticus Theatre, Athens, Greece, 1985.
- Samsara and What Can I Tell My Bones?, both Nickolais-Louis Dance Space,New York City, 1986.
Credits; MAJOR TOURS
- Principal dancer, Op Odyssey, Theatre of the Open Eye, Rotterdam, Holland, and Paris and Bordeaux, France, 1977.
- principal dancer with Theatre of the Open Eye, National Endowment for theArts tour of U.S. colleges and universities, 1976-78.
- co-producer, artistic director, choreographer, and dancer, Contemporary Mythmakers, U.S. and European cities, 1979-85.
- assistant choreographer and dancer, Theatre of the Open Eye, Athens Festival, Greece, 1986.
- FIRST TELEVISION WORK--Choreographer and dancer, Inner Visions, cable television, 1980.
Credits; PRINCIPAL TELEVISION WORK
- Choreographer and dancer, Nancy Allison & Company, WNYC-TV, New YorkCity, 1986.
Other articles you might like: