George Ede Biography (1931-)
Addresses: Agent: c/o Jeff Hunter, c/o DHKPR Agency, 165 W. 46th Street, New York, NY, 10036.
"Favorite Roles: Dracula, Pellinore, Camelot, Toby Belch, Pastor Manders in Ghosts, and W. S. Gilbert in a new play Sullivan &Gilbert, which I did at American Stage Festival, NH.... Theatre, that particular confluence of energy and attention between actor and audience, is myfirst and continuing love. Nothing equals performing before that live presence.... I've vacationed in Europe only twice--both times, a superbly rewarding experience. Capri and Salzburg, for different reasons, have got to be the very few 'special places' on earth. I was born and raised in San Francisco, and the great and ancient Sequoias fill me with an indescribable aweand veneration. I must see and touch them every few years to renew myself insome mysterious way. I am possessed by an impulsive, eclectic and insatiablecuriosity, especially but not exclusively in the field of human history, which I hope will never diminish."
- Antonio, The Merchant of Venice, Gate Theatre, Sausalito, CA, 1964.
- New York Debut
- Ferapont, The Three Sisters, ANTA, 1969.
- Principal Stage Appearances
- Toby Belch, Twelfth Night, King Lear, King Lear, Marin Shakespeare Festival, San Rafael, CA, 1967; Mjr Swindon, Devil's Disciple, Spettigue, Charley's Aunt, Corey, The Crucible, American Conservatory Theatre, San Francisco, 1967-69, Polonius/Gravedigger, Hamlet, Leo Herman, A Thousand Clowns, Dr. Gibbs, Our Town, Baptista, Taming of the Shrew, Foreman, The Tenth Man, Actors Theatre of Louisville, Louisville, KY, 1969-71; Pozzo, Waiting for Godot,Uncle Sid, Ah, Wilderness, Morton Kiil, Enemy of the People, Loeb Drama Center, Cambridge, MA, 1970; Old Dogsborough, Arturo Ui, Williamstown Theatre Festival, N. Adams, MA, 1972; Wetjen, Iceman Cometh,Tappercoom, The Lady's Not for Burning, Ferguson, What Price Glory?, Dr. Boyd, The National Health, Danny Crosby, The Changing Room, Long Wharf, New Haven, CT, 1972-73; Major, The Visit, Hubertin, Chemin de Fer, Father, Holiday, Sir Sampson, Love forLove, Fillipo, Rules of the Game, Father, Member of the Wedding, Phoenix Repertory, New York and touring, 1973-74; Shamrayev, The Seagull, Sir Lucius, The Rivals, Williamstown Theatre Festival, N. Adams, MA, 1975; Orgon, Tartuffe, Center Stage, Baltimore, 1975; Ballestad, Lady from the Sea, Circle-in-the-Square, New York, 1976; Wagner, Room Service, Kenley Players, OH, 1976; Craven, The Philanderer,Roundabout, New York, 1976; Sir Rowland, Spider's Web, PeachtreePlayhouse, Atlanta, GA, 1977; Gadsby, Touch of the Poet, New York andtouring, 1977; Amos Hart, Chicago, Starlight Theatre, Atlanta and touring, 1978; Sir Charles Gurney, Ruling Class, SUNY-Purchase, NY, 1980;Uncle Willie, The Philadelphia Story, Vivian Beaumont Theatre, New York, 1980; Pastor Manders, Ghosts, Virginia Museum Theatre, Richmond, VA, 1981; Pellinore, Camelot, Starlight Theatre, Kansas City, KS, 1981;Mr. Driver, No End of Blame, Manhattan Theatre Club, New York, 1981; Bellamy/Achille, The Magistrate, Hartman Theatre Company, Stamford, CT,1982; Loyal, Tartuffe, Kennedy Center, Washington, DC, 1982; Max, The Sound of Music, Cincinnati Opera, Cincinnati, OH, 1982; W.S. Gilbert,Sullivan and Gilbert, American Stage Festival, Milford, NH, 1982; Pellinore, Camelot, Artpark, Lewiston, NY, 1982; Father Farley, Mass Appeal, Midland Theatre, Kansas City, KS, 1983.
- Major Tours
- Plays--Porter Milgrim, DeathTrap, 1978; Major General Stanley, Pirates of Penzance, 1982.
- Film Debut
- Mr. Wagner. Funnyman, 1966.
- Principal Films
- Inspector Flynn, Serpico, 1973; Dean Bodger, The World According to Garp, 1981.
- Television Debut
- Uncle Willie, Glory Hallelujia, 1969.
- Television Appearances
- Shamrayev, The Seagull (Theatre in America Series), 1974; Fillipo,Rules of the Game (Theatre in America Series); Father Tom, BeaconHill, 1974; Reverend Baldwin, Best of Families.