Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Brian Patrick Clarke to Charlotte Cornwell
Jane Connell Biography (1925-)
Born Jane Sperry Bennett, October 27, 1925, in Oakland, CA; daughter of LouisWesley and Mary (Sperry) Bennett; married William Gordon Connell (an actor and musician); children: Melissa, Margaret. Addresses: AGENT--Gage Group, 1650 Broadway, New York, NY 10019.
- Birth Details
- October 27, 1925
- Oakland, California, United States
- DEBUT--Revue performer, Straw Hat Revue, Lafayette, CA, 1947 (through 1953).
- NEW YORK DEBUT--Revue performer, Shoestring Revue (replacing Beatrice Arthur), President Theatre, 1955.
- LONDON DEBUT--Princess Winnifred, Once Upon a Mattress, Adelphi Theatre,1960.
Credits; PRINCIPAL STAGE APPEARANCES
- Revue performer, New Faces of 1952, Music Circus, Sacramento, CA, 1954.
- Mrs. Peachum, The Threepenny Opera, Theatre de Lys, NY, 1955.
- revue performer, New Faces of 1956, Ethel Barrymore Theatre, NY, 1956.
- revue performer at Tamiment Music Camp, 1957.
- cabaret revue performer, Demi-Dozen, Upstairs at the Downstairs, NY, 1957.
- Kate, Girl Crazy, Katisha, The Mikado, Aunt Eller, Oklahoma!, Maud, HappyHunting, Lady Jane, Rose Marie, all in stock at Flint, MI, and Detroit, MI,music tents, 1958.
- Adelaide, Guys and Dolls, Mammy Yokum, L'il Abner, Agnes Gooch, Auntie Mame, Lalume, Kismet, Sue, Bells Are Ringing, all at the Music Circus, Sacramento, CA, 1959.
- Mrs. Spencer, The Oldest Trick, Martinique Theatre, NY, 1961.
- Christina, Fortuna, Maidman Theatre, NY, 1962.
- Lovey Mars, The Golden Apple, York Theatre, NY, 1962.
- Mae Peterson, Bye Bye Birdie, Mrs. Spofford, Gentlemen Prefer Blondes, Sue, Bells Are Ringing, all at Music Circus, Sacramento, 1962.
- Mme. Dubonnet, The Boy Friend, Sheraton Plaza, San Francisco, CA, 1962.
- revue performer, Put It in Writing, Theatre de Lys, NY, 1963.
- Miss Ramphere, The Peacock Season, Playhouse on the Mall, Paramus, NJ, 1964.
- Queen Frederika, Royal Flush, Shubert Theatre, New Haven, CT, 1964.
- Matilda Van Guilder, Drat! The Cat!, Martin Beck Theatre, NY, 1965.
- Agnes Gooch, Mame, Winter Garden Theatre, NY, 1966.
- Gabrielle, Dear World, Mark Hellinger Theatre, NY, 1969.
- Agnes Gooch, Mame, Huntington Hartford Theatre, Los Angeles, CA, 1970, and at the Dallas Summer Musical Theatre, 1970.
- Mrs. Hardcastle, She Stoops to Conquer, Roundabout Theatre, NY, 1971.
- Widow Merryweather and General Arden Clobber, Drat!, McAlpin Rooftop Theatre, NY, 1971.
- Mother, After Magritte, Mrs. Drudge, The Real Inspector Hound, double bill, Theatre Four, NY, 1972.
- Gamma, Lysistrata, Brooks Atkinson Theatre, NY, 1972.
- Cyrano de Bergerac, Ahmanson Theatre, Los Angeles, CA, 1973.
- Mrs. Malaprop, The Rivals, Roundabout Stage One, NY, 1975.
- Miss Prism, The Importance of Being Earnest, Mark Taper Forum, Los Angeles, CA, 1977.
- actress, A History of the American Film, Mark Taper Forum, Los Angeles, CA, 1977.
- Peculiar Pastimes, Beverly Hills Playhouse, Los Angeles, CA, 1977.
- Mrs. Rice, The Rise and Rise of Daniel Rocket, Playwrights Horizons, NY,1982.
Credits; Edith, Dog Eat Dog, Hartford Stage Company, Hartford, CT, 1983
- Agnes Gooch, Mame, Gershwin Theatre, NY, 1983.
- Mama, The Guardsman, Paper Mill Playhouse, NJ, 1984.
- Alice, "Goodbye, Howard," and May Ford, "F.M.," as part of Laughing Stock, Manhattan Punchline, then Lion Theatre, NY, 1984.
- one woman show, The Singular Dorothy Parker, Actors Playhouse, NY, 1985.
- Duchess of Hareford, Me and My Girl, Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, Los Angeles, Marquis Theatre, NY, 1986.
Credits; MAJOR TOURS
- Revue performer, Straw Hat Revue, toured New England, California and Honolulu, Hawaii, 1947-53.
- Agnes Gooch, Mame, West Coast tour, 1968.
- Miss Hannigan, Annie, National Company and West Coast tours, 1978- 82.
- Betty, The Foreigner, 1985-86.
Credits; PRINCIPAL FILM APPEARANCES
- Ladybug, Ladybug, United Artists, 1963.
- Agnes Gooch, Mame, Warner Brothers, 1974.
- Rabbit Test, 1978.
Credits; PRINCIPAL TELEVISION APPEARANCES; SERIES
- Jane, Stanley, NBC, 1956-57.
- Bridget McKenna, The Dumplings, NBC, 1976.
- Guest: Kraft Music Hall.
- The Garry Moore Show.
- The Jack Paar Show, others.
- All in the Family.
- Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman.
- Tales from the Dark Side.
Credits; PRINCIPAL RADIO APPEARANCES
- For NBC Radio, San Francisco, 1946-53.
- Standard School broadcasts, 1955-60.
Credits; CABARET AND NIGHT CLUB APPEARANCES
- Debut, with husband, Gordon Connell at the Ruban Bleu, NY, 1954, then OneFifth Avenue, NY, 1955.
- club act with husband at the Purple Onion, San Francisco, 1954.
- revue artist, Julius Monk shows (including Demi-Dozen, see above), Upstairs at the Downstairs, 1955-60.
- Hungry i, San Francisco, 1956.
- revue performer, Plaza 9, NY, 1963.
- Original cast recording, New Faces of 1956, Victor.
- Aggie, Kurt Weill's Johnny Johnson, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer.
- original cast recording, Demi-Dozen, Offbeat.
- original cast recording, Mame, Columbia.
Other articles you might like: