Theatre, Film, and Television Biographies
Henry Winkler to Paul Zaza
Maury Yeston Biography (1945-)
Born October (some sources cite December) 23, 1945, in Jersey City, NJ; son of David (in business) and Frances (in business; maiden name, Haar) Yeston; married Anne Sheedy (a flutist), November 13, 1982; children: Jake, Max. Career: Composer and lyricist. Yale University, New Haven, CT, associate professor of music, 1974-82, director of undergraduate studies in music, 1976-82; BMI Musical Theatre Workshop, teacher, 1982--. Member: Dramatists Guild, Society of Music Theory, American Musicological Society. Awards, Honors: Antoinette Perry Award and Drama Desk Award, both best score of a musical, both 1982, for Nine; BMI Awards, Broadcast Music, Inc., 1982 and1989; Antoinette Perry Award nomination (with George Forrest and Robert Wright), best original musical score, 1990, for Grand Hotel.
Addresses: Agent: Flora Roberts, 157 West 57th St., New York, NY 10019.
- Composer, lyricist
- Birth Details
- October 23, 1945
- Jersey City, New Jersey, United States
- "You're the Top: The Cole Porter Story," American Masters, PBS, 1990
Goya: A Life in Song, 1989
- Title song and incidental music, Cloud Nine, Theatre de Lys, New York City, 1981
- Music and lyrics, Nine, 46th Street Theatre, New York City, 1982libretto published as Nine: The Musical, Doubleday (New York City), 1983
- Music and lyrics, One Two Three Four Five, Manhattan Theatre Club,City Center Stage II, New York City, 1987
- Additional music and lyrics, Grand Hotel, Martin Beck Theatre, NewYork City, 1989
December Songs, 1990
- Music and lyrics, Phantom, Jupiter Theatre, Jupiter, FL, 1995-96
- Music and lyrics, Titanic, Lunt-Fontanne Theatre, New York City, 1997
- "Movement for Cello and Orchestra," first performed in 1967
The Stratification of Musical Rhythm, Yale University Press (New Haven, CT), 1976
- (Editor) Readings in Schenker Analysis and Other Approaches, YaleUniversity Press, 1977
America, September 20, 1997, pp. 26-28.
People Weekly, September 8, 1997, p. 25.*
Other articles you might like: