Jack Sharkey Biography (1931-)
Addresses: Agent: M. Abbott Van Nostrand 25 W. 45th Street, New York,NY, 10036.
"I wrote my first novel at the age of 10 in 1941 and sold my first short story at age 18 in 1949. After serving in the Army, I moved to New York City andinto full-time writing, creating hundreds of short stories and seven novels sold. Once my career was established, I moved back to Chicago, got married andsubmitted my first play, Here Lies Jeremy Troy to New York producer Elliot Martin in 1965; it was optioned and produced that summer. There are nowover 47 plays and musicals.... My musical instincts stem from childhood, when I was a piano-playing prodigy doing Chopin, Liszt, et al. with easy abandon, and slated to become a concert pianist before I was out of my teens--but Ifound the daily practicing a drag, and much preferred composing my own music.... Writing a play tailored to a particular talent is always challenging--butdefinitely a lot of fun."
- playwright, composer, writer, director
- Birth Details
- May 6, 1931
- Plays, Published
- first publishing date, 1968, all titles are subsequent--Here Lies Jeremy Troy; Spinoff; Roomies; How Green Was My Brownie; Dream Lover; Take a Number, Darling; Who's on First; Once Is Enough; The Creature Creeps; Honestly, Now; M Is for the Million; Meanwhile, Back on the Couch; Saving Grace; Kiss or Make Up; The Murder Room; Rich Is Better; A Gentlemen and a Scoundrel; Double Exposure; Par for the Course; Your Flake or Mine; The Second Lady; JuneGroom; Play On; A Turn for the Nurse; But Why Bump Off Barnaby; Return of the Maniac; The Clone People; This Must Be the Place; Let's Murder Marsha;My Son the Astronaut; Turkey in the Straw; Dracula: The Musical; Beauty and the Beast, Really; Push-over; Turnabout; What a Spot; Woman Overboard; Operetta; The Picture of Dorian Grey; Hope for the Best; The Saloonkeeper's Daughter; Not the Count of Monte Cristo; Slow Down, Sweet Chariot; And on the Sixth Day; My Husband the Wife.
- Novels Published
- The Secret Martians; Ultimatum in 2050 A.D.; Murder Maestro, Please; Death for Auld Lang Syne.
- Short Stories And Articles Published In
- Playboy Magazine; Dude; Gent; Alfred Hitchcock's Mystery Magazine;Fantastic; Amazing; Magazine of Fantasy and Science; Galaxy; Worlds Beyond;Rogue; Sir Kay.